Views on swapping Panasonic LX7 for Fuji X100S/T

kennysarmy

Yeah but can your army do this?
Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
My main camera system is the Fuji XE2 and I've got mainly prime lenses; 14, 23,35 & 60 (as well as the 55-200). It's certainly a lot lighter than the FF Canon camera and lenses I moved from and I love taking my camera out.

My camera of choice if I'm just off out not specifically to take photos, but to give me reasonable image quality is the Panasonic LX7.

I've recently been thinking about selling this and purchasing one of the Fuji X100's as an upgrade for better image quality and to then only be running one system which should make post processing easier.

However the X100's are fixed lenses.

My most used lens on the XE2 is the 23mm so from that point of view a lighter pocket able 35mm equivalent would seem logical.

Would it be madness to give up the 24-90 equivalent of the LX7 for a 35mm fixed, how much extra reach would I get by the extra megapixels of the X100 allowing me to crop in....?

Ramblings....

Would the XF-27mm make the X-E2 a small enough package to be your grab camera? or the XF-27mm on an X-M1?

(just to through even more options into the mix.. ..)

I've recently been thinking about selling this and purchasing one of the Fuji X100's as an upgrade for better image quality and to then only be running one system which should make post processing easier.

I have an LXx for use when I don't want to use a better but bigger camera and although it doesn't get used a lot it's not worth selling as it's probably worth about 2p now. Actually I usually take it on holiday together with a better bigger camera and I use the LX for casual good light shots when I want a wider or longer view than I'd get from my prime equipped better camera and it seems to fulfil that role quite well.

I suspect that your LX7 isn't worth much either and if that's the case you'll have to balance the expense of buying a new camera to replace it against the benefit you'll get from having a better little camera.

Personally I don't really see the hassle of processing different files as an issue and if it is an issue I'd guess that it's more of an issue with the Fuji kit. No offence meant and Fuji cameras are doubtless lovely and take lovely pictures but there has been the suggestion that processing raws needs a bit more thought than that required for other cameras and I've never heard any suggestion that LXx images need any special requirements, unless you shoot JPEG with your Fuji and raw with the Panny and if that's the case I can see it as being more hassle.

So, I can sort of see your point, maybe, but personally I don't see processing different camera images as an issue. I have presets in CS5 and I load up whatever seems most appropriate and I don't see any additional hassle or time as a consequence of using different cameras.

I have a X100T which arrived today, its not really pocketable but a lovely camera. Also have a Sony RX100 Mk1 for the family camera which is pocketable. Not played too much but seems to be very good.

I carry a small camera bag everywhere with me,its usually got in it an small mirrorless camera with an small zoom and maybe on fast prime,and for me its never got in the way or stopped me from doing anything,most of the time it weighs less than the two of them, handbags with their stuff in it :)

I have an LXx for use when I don't want to use a better but bigger camera and although it doesn't get used a lot it's not worth selling as it's probably worth about 2p now. Actually I usually take it on holiday together with a better bigger camera and I use the LX for casual good light shots when I want a wider or longer view than I'd get from my prime equipped better camera and it seems to fulfil that role quite well.

I suspect that your LX7 isn't worth much either and if that's the case you'll have to balance the expense of buying a new camera to replace it against the benefit you'll get from having a better little camera.

Personally I don't really see the hassle of processing different files as an issue and if it is an issue I'd guess that it's more of an issue with the Fuji kit. No offence meant and Fuji cameras are doubtless lovely and take lovely pictures but there has been the suggestion that processing raws needs a bit more thought than that required for other cameras and I've never heard any suggestion that LXx images need any special requirements, unless you shoot JPEG with your Fuji and raw with the Panny and if that's the case I can see it as being more hassle.

So, I can sort of see your point, maybe, but personally I don't see processing different camera images as an issue. I have presets in CS5 and I load up whatever seems most appropriate and I don't see any additional hassle or time as a consequence of using different cameras.

I carry a small camera bag everywhere with me,its usually got in it an small mirrorless camera with an small zoom and maybe on fast prime,and for me its never got in the way or stopped me from doing anything,most of the time it weighs less than the two of them, handbags with their stuff in it :)

It's no more tricky to process the RAW's from the LX7 but when I'm doing some together I have to do the LX7 ones separate to the Fuji ones (processing in ACR)
I thought with just one model I would be able to process together....

@simonblue the LX7 gets taken places where even a small camera bag and my XE2 would not seem appropriate....I will look at size wise if the X100T is much bigger than the LX7

I'm more worried I'll most the extra reach of the LX7 @ 90mm and how much I could gain back by cropping the higher mega-pixel X100T images that are only at 35mm....

maybe I've just got a bit of G.A.S. having not bought anything camera related for a while :(

It's no more tricky to process the RAW's from the LX7 but when I'm doing some together I have to do the LX7 ones separate to the Fuji ones (processing in ACR)
I thought with just one model I would be able to process together....

@simonblue the LX7 gets taken places where even a small camera bag and my XE2 would not seem appropriate....I will look at size wise if the X100T is much bigger than the LX7

I'm more worried I'll most the extra reach of the LX7 @ 90mm and how much I could gain back by cropping the higher mega-pixel X100T images that are only at 35mm....

maybe I've just got a bit of G.A.S. having not bought anything camera related for a while :(

I know I have had a bit of GAS :eek:

Back