vintage car in HDR

Name
frank
Edit My Images
Yes
just trying my hand at HDR i know i've got a long way to go ..really not sure if i like it or not :puke: Anyway i thought it would slot into the transport section this is a shot of a car , wow really !!!!!...i here youy say .. though .i don't know what make it is, it was taken at the car rally in kissimmee on this years hols
thanks for looking:D

I like the idea and the effect but I think this is a little overdone, perhaps a little less would be more if you get my drift!!

Also, is that a small green light on the front wheel? It's very distracting.

Not bad overall though (y)

(Very cool car as well!!)

:)

its a very orange image, which you can tell this is a night time capture.
it is over exposed for my liking.
but i agree, a very cool car!

thanks Sarah for your comments you're right it is over done i did it with one single raw file then produced 5 single files at different exposures and stuck it into photomatix.......
Adam thanks ,also right. it was taken a night hence the little bit of camera shake i didn't want to much noise, saying that this machine did purr a bit load

i did it with one single raw file then produced 5 single files at different exposures and stuck it into photomatix.......

You don't need to do that with Photomatix, you will get better results by simply opening the file and letting it do the pseudo HDR.

The picture is a bit out of focus, particularly at the front of the car and you've over cooked the colour. I think you've cropped to closley to the front wheel.

On the positive side, I like the car, the angle you have chosen and the background suits the image well. Multiple exposure HDR with a deeper DOF might have made the result better.

thanks for your imput guys i'll have another go at it see if i can make it more pleasing to the eye....cheers

could you upload the original so we can get an idea and see if anyone can edit this and see what they get please.

My first thoughts are it's too orange, slightly out of focus and cropped too tightly at the bottom.

Gosh, that sounds harsh, sorry, trying to be helpful. :nuts:

It's a super car though, and you did well to get a clutter free background.

Accepting it for what it is,ott,then the shot works for me
Must have missed the 4 minute warning though :cautious: :D

My first thoughts are it's too orange, slightly out of focus and cropped too tightly at the bottom.

I've got to say those points went through my head in the same order :)

There's potential here but this doesn't quite do it for me :shrug:

Also the reflections make the image very 'busy' - not sure you could have done a lot about that...

Love to see the original....:)

hi guys for those who are interested this is the original shot, i think i spotted the problem though,...as i understand it to use photomatix one should use a RAW FILE this shot is a jpeg, as i recall now i was running out of space on my card when this was taken...... but be my guest for anyone wanting to improve the shot thanks

I use PhotoMatix with jpgs so I don't think that's the problem.

Bain,

The problem with the shot is not the editing, tone mapping (it's not a HDR). It's the white balance, the composition, the fact that it's blurred that's the problem.

HDR is by taking multiple frames at different exposures and blending them together.
Tone mapping is using a single image to create those seperate exposures.

HDR is the better option.

Next time you should try this. Get a good composition, get the white balance right, get your focus spot on (use a tripod) then I bet you won't need to bother with tone mapping (HDR as you call it).

Here's a photo I took a long time ago when I fiddled with tone mapping & HDR shots.

Note that the surrounding area is tone mapped and the car isn't. That's because tone mapped (or HDR) for cars doesn't work that well unless its very subtle.

DSC_0042HDRBackgroundonly.jpg

And here's the original:
DSC_0042.jpg

Back