Vipers

Edit My Images
Yes
Thought I'd share a couple of macro shots of some of the pitvipers I work with....

First up is a female Eyelash viper Bothriechis schlegelii
Eyelash vipers are a small, arboreal pitviper from Central and South America, they get there name from the modified scales over their eyes.
The pit between the eye and nostril is a heat-sensing pit organ which aids pitvipers in hunting their prey

Eyelash viper- Bothriechis schlegelii by Craigraymond82, on Flickr

Eyelash viper- Bothriechis schlegelii by Craigraymond82, on Flickr

And this little beauty is a White lipped viper cryptelytrops (Trimeresurus) albolabris She's every bit as feisty as she looks and in proportion to her size she has massive fangs! definitely not a girl to mess around with....

White lipped viper - Trimeresurus albolabris by Craigraymond82, on Flickr

C & C welcome
Thanks for looking

Hi Craig,

three nice shots (if you like snakes :p)

#1 looks really mean, great pose/capture

#2 the water droplets make it an interesting shot even if I'm looking more at the water than the snake!

#3 has some great detail in. Only slight criticism is the fake leaf in the foreground is a bit distracting for me.

Thanks for the info as well, very informative. Not persuaded me to keep any though!

Gary

;) Nice shots Craig..and gorgeous subject.I have shot these myself in the past and they make great models even if a little feisty.:LOL:

That's a cracking set!
Its tough to chose a favourite (y)

As Chris says 'cracking set', but I do like #1 she looks like one mean customer.

Of all snakes I do like the Royal Pythons, beautiful snakes.(y)

I did have a photo of me with an 8ft Python round my neck, will have to see if I can find it....the photo that is.:LOL:

great set well done.

cheers for the positive comments :)
StuartH Im sure you'll agree The feisty ones are the most fun (y) do you shoot alot of snake/reptiles? I'd like to see some of your work do you have a link to some of your reptile photography?

Of all snakes I do like the Royal Pythons, beautiful snakes
you've got to love royals! they're handsome little snakes and have such a nice chilled temperament, here's a couple of my royals

DSC_0154jp.jpg

Fire royal python by Craigraymond82, on Flickr

Albino Cinnamon Royal python by Craigraymond82, on Flickr

OH wow the Albino Cinnamon is absolutely beautiful. How can you not like it?

How can you not like it?

I'm a "purist" and prefer the natural colourisation on all snakes ;)
I don't even like albino / lutino variations, they are just not natural ;)

And don't even go there with the pink cobra thing :p

Really like the first image.
That is one serious expression on the face of that snake!

StuartH said:
Craig I shoot a lot of photos for some of the big breeders in the UK..Check out my flickr and website in my sig;)
Most of pics on here are by me too.. http://www.bloodballreptiles.com/default.asp#.UEPeztaPUSY

Nice one, some cracking shots there Stuart! Dave's got some stunning royals and I luff his bloods and short tails
Out of interest what sort of setup are you using, Are you using a light tent or a small studio setup?
Cheers
Craig

Thanks Craig..I normally use a light tent with 3 studio lights with triple bulb heads..:cool:

Cheers for the info, I've been toying with the idea of getting a light tent, currently I shoot in the viv or improvise backgrounds with what I've got to hand, those high key royal shots were took in my bath tub :)
But you've convinced me a light tents the way forward it'll give me more consistent results and i guess it would be good for flighty species as they'd be enclosed in the tent
Cheers

Great shots, and truly awesome creatures! I'd love an eyelash viper but sadly I doubt i'll ever get my DWAL, maybe in another lifetime :thinking:

Great shots, and truly awesome creatures! I'd love an eyelash viper but sadly I doubt i'll ever get my DWAL, maybe in another lifetime :thinking:

Thank you for taking the time to check out the photos and for commenting, they are indeed awesome creatures and I feel very privileged to be able to work with them

Nice set, I really like number 2 the best though, its outstanding in my opinion. The water really adds an extra element to the image and the snake having its mouth open draws your eye to his head.

Back