Visit to Box Hill

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
I had a bit of spare time so stopped off at Box Hill. The top by the view point was busy with contractors putting up fencing for the cycle race this weekend but further down it was nice and quiet.

Unfortunately missed out on a Tamron 90mm macro on ebay the other day :crying: so I tried playing with the 55-200 Nikon kit lens instead.

Comments on how I could improve my shots please...

1.[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/38620631@N02/6028967595/]
Box Hill Bee by MrLeebert, on Flickr[/URL]

2.[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/38620631@N02/6029520500/]
Box Hill butterfly by MrLeebert, on Flickr[/URL]

Thank you.

Cheers,
Lee

PS: Anyone know what type of butterfly / moth that is?

Last edited:
I'll try and provide some criticism :)

The grass is causing both shots to look very busy, and it is distracting. The bee and flower needs a closer crop/shot and the butterfly doesn't stand out.

Out of focus foilage/grass in the foreground is something to watch out for, more noticeable in the butterfly photo.

For the shots that you have taken composition is good though (y)

I'm pretty new to this game, so take it with a pinch of salt :)

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. All comments are good - I'm new too and want to improve my shots :)

I don't have a macro lens as yet so was using my 55 to 200 lens to get a bit of distance between me and the subject (the little critters kept flying off). I tried cropping in further but the images came out a bit soft and 'pixely'

I'm after a Tamron 90mm macro but can't afford a new one so will have to be patient and keep looking on fleabay etc. I am amazed at the images people get with that lens!

Cheers,
Lee

Hi lee. try some cheap extension tubes. thats what I started with along with a 18-55mm kit lens. had some great shot for very little out lay.

keep it up buddy, I've only been at macro for few months but am hooked!!!

I got my tamron 90 from here

Hi lee. try some cheap extension tubes.

They won't work very well for this lens as it has no aperture ring and will make the lens go strait to f22...you won't see anything.

You can use them with any lens with an aperture ring - you should be able to pick up a nikon 'D' lens for not much money (just make sure the reviews are good and it's a sharp lens!). It shouldn't cost more than £70 all in going this way and will give you the closest results to a macro lens as there will be no degrading of the lens optics such as other macro methods.

Thanks for the tip.

I'll have a look on ebay. I did want a Tamron as it has the in-built focus motor which will work with the D5000 (Wifey likes to have a go but can't be doing with all the manual stuff).

An older manual and a set of tubes might just be the way to go though - Many thanks.

Cheers,
Lee

Out of interest the road across Box Hill and down the zig zag is a private road and once a year a gate goes across it it keep it that way.

Realspeed

I wasn't aware that the road was private. That said, I'm quite happy to walk up from the bottom so no real issue there.
What day is it normally closed? Is it the same day every year?

Cheers,
Lee

Back