VR1 or VR2

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
In the next few months I'm looking to upgrade my Nikon AFS 300mm F4 to a Nikon 300mm f2.8 . I'd be looking to get a VR version but what is the difference between the VR! & VR2 apart from the £700 price difference on a used camera website? Would either VR work with a TC 1.7E?

My 1.4 is almost always attached to my VR2 - perfect even wide open.
Haven't used the 1.7 much as found I had to stop down to f7.1 to make it worthwhile.
The x2 I also use at f7.1 min & usually f8 to be useful.

Thanks for the reply, I use a 1.4x on my 300mm f4 but would like a little more reach hence the 300mm f2.8 + x1. 7 have you used both versions of the VR and if so would an enthusiastic amateur like myself notice an difference in quality when using this setup as handheld?

I almost always hand hold (Vr2 + 1.4) - I'm not convinced if you want more reach I'd bother (over using the 300 f4 + 1.4).

I haven't used the Vr1 for more than a few shots ...

420mm seems about the sweet spot & I just don't think the 1.7 is good enough.

Thanks again for the reply, I do want a 2.8 for the higher shutter speed I could get away with. I'll see how the funds go in the next few months and if i have enough i'll go for the VR2. I may keep my 1.4 TC and purchase a 1.7 I can always sell the one that doesn't suit.

so whats the differance between vr1 and vr2 ??
with my 18-200mm the differance is a zoom lock button so the lens does not creep when its pointind downwards

i use TC17II on 70-200 VR2 no issues whatsoever...as sharp as non-TC...not sure what the above comment regarding to stopping down to f7...

The 300 f2.8 vr1 is so very good lens. There is not much difference between the two, newer vr module would give you 4 stops instead of I think 3 stops, nano coatings, tripod detection mode with vr on, probably a different optical setup and that's all I can think of. This review of the vr2 may be helpful.

https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-300mm-f2-8g-vr-ii

The vr1 is good with all tc's, I used the 1.4 and 2x tc's as they gave the flexibility. The 1.4 TC you hardly noticed whilst the 2x performed very well. I sold on a 1.7 TC to get the 2x. If having two I thought the 1.4 and 2x were a better pair. If I only had one I would have been tempted by a 1.7 TC.

I sold the vr1 only because I moved to a 200-400 vr2 for the flexibility of a zoom. I found I was taking tc's on and off a lot to get that different field of view and walking back is not always possible once you are in position. I do miss the lighter weight of the 300 f2.8.

Last edited:
Back