Wales Rally GB - Dyfi Stage

Name
Simon (Prefer 'Si')
Edit My Images
No
This was my first Wales Rally GB so I wasn't sure what to expect... With hindsight, I should have moved around more (and picked a flatter stage) and also paid closer attention to my shutter speeds. In truth, I got bored quite quickly so I think I'll be looking for a stage next year that gives me more scope to wander about. On the plus side, the locations I chose were free of barrier tape and spectators so I managed to get good, clean backgrounds.

Overall, it was a good experience... I'm not a big motorsport fan but I found this to be more enjoyable than circuit based events. I'd say that the practice sessions were more enjoyable for me though... No barriers, no marshals and slightly more 'dangerous' positions to shoot from. :D

These first six images were taken using a Nikon D7100 and 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII

1. CITROËN TOTAL ABU DHABI WRT - Mads Østberg & Jonas Andersson

2. VOLKSWAGEN MOTORSPORT - Sébastien Ogier & Julien Ingrassia

3. BOSOWA RALLY TEAM - David Bogie & Kevin Rae (about to lose a tyre).

4. Ford Fiesta RRC - Nasser Al Attiyah & Giovanni Bernacchini

5. FORD FIESTA ST - Tony Simpson & Ian Bevan

6. VOLKSWAGEN MOTORSPORT - Sébastien Ogier & Julien Ingrassia

More to follow...

These last few shots were all taken with my Fuji X-T1 and XF60mm f/2.4

Continuous AF was a monumental pain in the backside because it took an age to lock on to a subject although in fairness, once it locked on, it invariably stayed there. Even if I was already in the right spot to pick up the car, the AF hunted back and forth on a single area... Not exactly conducive to accurate shots! In the end, I switched to continuous high speed shooting (which was great) and turned on the pre-AF setting (which helped a little but not much). Overall, the X-T1 performed really well but the continuous AF really needs sorting if it's going to be effective against fast moving targets. The 60mm wasn't an ideal lens to use because it's already inherently slow but it's the longest Fuji lens I own... I've already had a good play with the prototype version of the new 50-140mm f/2.8 and that was much quicker at focussing. :)

1. FORD FIESTA R5 - Nicolás Fuchs & Fernando Mussano

2. FORD FIESTA R200 - Phil McVay & David Millard (The car flipped back onto its wheels and they carried on to finish the stage).

3. MG METRO 6R4 - Stuart Larbey & Simon Larbey

Fantastic set Si. 1 and 2 are the pick of the set for me.

You had some nice light where as I was tucked away in a dark corner of Clocaenog.

Looks like it might be around for another couple of years again...plenty of time to improve on my shots v!

...You had some nice light where as I was tucked away in a dark corner of Clocaenog.

Looks like it might be around for another couple of years again...plenty of time to improve on my shots v!

To be fair Rory, I was down to shirt-sleeves by the afternoon. It brightened up really nicely. I even bumped into a couple of the Low-Fly regulars and we had two flights of F-15's overhead too. :D

I'm sort of wishing I was up on the hills today... There's loads of low-level traffic over Aberystwyth this morning although I believe it's a bit naff up around Dolgellau this morning. If the weather's good, I'll be heading up on Thursday if you're about. :)

Hi Si,

I was off today and I decided to explore Cwm Idwal for a change ;-)
I could not face 5 hrs sitting on the hill and probably coming away with a blank !

I will be working Thursday afternoon :-(

Back