Warkworth and St Mary's Lighthouse this week.

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
So, This week I went on my first dedicated trip out ever with a camera. I decided to go to Warkworth as I drove through the week before and thought I may be able to get some decent shots.

This first shot is the bridge at the bottom end. It was high tide when I was there so there wasn't much movement in the river at all so the long exposure time didn't make a vast change. I also edited out the big road sign to the left of the bridge.

DSC_0306-1 by Stephen Gibbon, on Flickr

The second shot wasn't the photo I wanted of this river as I wanted a two minute exposure to get a nice look on the river. However like before the river wasn't moving at all and it made no difference what so ever. With this in mind I opted for a normal photo. The original is very dull and everything is cold and grey. So I entered lightroom and photoshop with my weeks knowledge and ended up with this.

DSC_0324-1 by Stephen Gibbon, on Flickr

In this photo I could have lightened up the far side of the river to get detail in it but it was dull and boring. I decided to black it out and try and emphasize on the lovely blue reflection of the water. I barely edited the colours in the river. I rather like the light blue patch in the bottom left. It remind me of some space photos the bottom left some how.

DSC_0316-1 by Stephen Gibbon, on Flickr

I submitted this photo as my scenic shot for the TP52. I cant decide if I wish the flag was straightened out or not.

DSC_0327-1 by Stephen Gibbon, on Flickr

There are two version of this photo. This one and another I lined up the right hand side of the face of the building in the right of the photo but it looked awful and was sharp deleted!

DSC_0362-1 by Stephen Gibbon, on Flickr

Fast forward a few days and after night shift I woke up to my new camera bag (hama DAYTOUR230) I obviously spent ages packing it and trying everything in every possible arrangement before heading down to St Mary's Lighthouse to try and get a long exposure shot with my big stopper. I have the same shot but with a longer exposure and it just didn't seem to be a match to this. Following this shot some of the people featured in this photo ended up getting their timing a bit wrong and wading back across up to there knees. followed by a group of 3 young people then taken there tops off to go for a swim. They got to there knees and sharp turned back around!

DSC_0430-1 by Stephen Gibbon, on Flickr

As usual please comment and criticize.

Thanks

Last edited:
I love the first one - nice composition, lovely reflection, exposed nicely - though I would say in all of the images, they're a little too saturated but composition wise, they're all nicely done. I think some PP tweaking and you'd have a lovely set of images (y)

No. 4 has the most potential for me but as Carl stated the saturation may be turned up a bit too much....is your monitor calibrated?
It's all a bit too blue/green/yellow....

It's a shot that might look good in a high contrast mono....

All are over-saturated, but I do like the last shot, and wonder if it would be imporoved with a slight re-crop.

Back