Wedding - Kat and James

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
This time last year my friend Katherine asked me to shoot her wedding, having never shot a wedding before I politely declined.

Oh please, please, please... "still no"

I sent her those articles that discussed why you shouldn't asked you friend to shoot your wedding, but it did not dissuade her. Eventually I caved in..

To add to the stress the bride's father is a wedding photographer, and in the early days of agreeing I had a few sleepless nights every time I thought about the wedding.

Yesterday, was Kat and James' big day; and for me, a long one, I started at 10am with the reception venue and bridal prep, the first dance was at about 8:15pm and the cake cutting at 9pm - kept shooting until about 10pm.

They are a very fun couple, so much so it's often tricky to get a natural smile from the bride as she likes to pull faces :) it's all good fun.

I had recently sold my 35mm 1.4 zeiss to buy a 21mm 2.8 zeiss for landscapes - I really enjoyed using it for the wedding. I haven't finished processing photos yet, but here's a selection whilst I take a break. I appreciate any comments, I have yet to deliver anything to the bride and groom, so I can still go back to images - and I probably will.

1 Bride and Father by dancook1982, on Flickr

2 Ceremony - Stratford-upon-avon Town Hall by dancook1982, on Flickr

3 Newly Wed by dancook1982, on Flickr

4 Kat and James by dancook1982, on Flickr

5 Kat and James by dancook1982, on Flickr

6 Kat and James by dancook1982, on Flickr

7 Confetti and Cake by dancook1982, on Flickr

Last edited:
What a great set, I can't comment as a Wedding Togger as that's not my thing but from my humble perspective I don't see how they could possibly be anything other than overjoyed with those. I know I would be :clap:

Can't really comment from experience as I don't do weddings but I think you were always on a winner because the images show she was completely relaxed with you and you had her complete confidence :)

Was that Uncle Bob (sorry Dad) in #3?

Can't really comment from experience as I don't do weddings but I think you were always on a winner because the images show she was completely relaxed with you and you had her complete confidence :)

Was that Uncle Bob (sorry Dad) in #3?

Thanks, hah yes - that is he.

Nice one Dan - so far ;)

#1 Lovely. I'd have been very happy to have taken that.

#2 OK for what it is, but why weren't you up front?

#3 That's just a bog-standard civil recession shot, but as long as their faces are actually sharp, it's as good as you've any right to expect.

#4 AFAIC it's perfect. I'd have been very happy with this one too.

#5 For me, it works better than it ought to.

#6 I'm not 100% sold on the crop, but it's fine for what it is.

#7 Who's a lucky boy then? Nice one (albeit a risky one). I can't help wondering though if there wasn't a killer shot to be had from behind that table ...

And the last one's OK too.

One thing's for sure. If all your couples and wedding parties scrub up as well as that lot, you will pyss off a lot of wedding snappers ...

Many thanks Dan :)

#2 OK for what it is, but why weren't you up front?.

I had a choice of at back or up front as I wasn't allowed to move around, initially I was thinking up front to get photos of the B+G in the natural light - I spoke to the registrar who recommended the back as she would face the couple towards the guests for exchanging of rings etc.. I changed my mind at the last moment and went to the back.

If I went up front I'd be in a fixed position with no room to move around, there were three readers who appeared in various positions either side up front; I did use my 200mm f2 to get down the aisle.

Oh, I did get to shoot the bride walking up the aisle, and moved to the back once they were about to begin.

I spoke to the registrar who recommended the back as she would face the couple towards the guests for exchanging of rings etc..

:rolleyes: Bummer when they do that, but thankfully it's not that common (at least in my experience).

I changed my mind at the last moment and went to the back. If I went up front I'd be in a fixed position with no room to move around ...there were three readers who appeared in various positions either side up front; I did use my 200mm f2 to get down the aisle.

You did the right thing then, for sure. And at least everything wasn't handed to you on a plate ;)

BTW, at the risk of stating the obvious, whenever a celebrant offers helpful suggestions about where to stand, never forget that they might well have an ulterior motive ...

Nice one Dan - so far ;)

#1 Lovely. I'd have been very happy to have taken that.

#2 OK for what it is, but why weren't you up front?

#3 That's just a bog-standard civil recession shot, but as long as their faces are actually sharp, it's as good as you've any right to expect.

#4 AFAIC it's perfect. I'd have been very happy with this one too.

#5 For me, it works better than it ought to.

#6 I'm not 100% sold on the crop, but it's fine for what it is.

#7 Who's a lucky boy then? Nice one (albeit a risky one). I can't help wondering though if there wasn't a killer shot to be had from behind that table ...

And the last one's OK too.

One thing's for sure. If all your couples and wedding parties scrub up as well as that lot, you will pyss off a lot of wedding snappers ...
:agree:

Dan followed you on here for a while and you have a good eye, glad you decided to do it.

These are lovely, Dan. I would be very happy had I shot them! Hope I can get as good on my next wedding.

Saw some of these on Flickr - great stuff Dan!

Wasn't sure what the purple dress shot was about on Flickr - but now all is clear!!

Fab shots, Dan. I've got a wedding coming up in April ... one of those where they've kept asking and asking... I'd be more than happy with those results! Nice one! I think you've done really well.

Fab shots, Dan. I've got a wedding coming up in April ... one of those where they've kept asking and asking... I'd be more than happy with those results! Nice one! I think you've done really well.

Thank you, good luck! The quality of your work is very high, I'm sure you'll do them proud :)

Great set of pictures there Dan. Bet they're over the moon with them :)

Shame that you where told to stand at the back however I still really like #2

These are absolutely lovely! Especially lovely and capturing all the happiness. The two smaller portrait-format shots are a bit standard but the rest are really great and I'm not a wedding photographer.

That last posted pic in Reply #20, grows. It's very painterly and would very good printed and framed. I love the flowers in both her hand and background. Beautiful colouring overall - I now like it more but I guess the first posted images had more impact.

We'll think you may have found your vocation, looks like all the street photography has paid off with some really fantastic photos. Really enjoyable set!

We'll think you may have found your vocation, looks like all the street photography has paid off with some really fantastic photos. Really enjoyable set!

Thanks

I've had interest in me shooting other weddings, but I'm really keen on waiting until the 5dM4 is released to relegate my 5dm3 as a second body - and then perhaps a 24mm 1.4 II instead of my 21mm 2.8 for the wide shots..

maybe i'm just erecting barriers for myself :D

Thanks

I've had interest in me shooting other weddings, but I'm really keen on waiting until the 5dM4 is released to relegate my 5dm3 as a second body - and then perhaps a 24mm 1.4 II instead of my 21mm 2.8 for the wide shots..

maybe i'm just erecting barriers for myself :D
Definitely looks that way to me! Waiting for an upgrade to great camera is a poor excuse! Get out there and do it!

Definitely looks that way to me! Waiting for an upgrade to great camera is a poor excuse! Get out there and do it!

But I do need a second body right, especially since I use primes. I'm reluctant to want to buy another 5dm3, when I know I will want a 5dm4. The logic seems sound :)

Ha ha!! Sounds like GAS to me! :) Well if nothing else please carry on posting!

Back