Wedding on Good Friday

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Shot a wedding last Friday (good friday), was great, all in the one venue, from preparation to ceremony to venue so I had plenty of time to set things up and not miss anything going on.

13992251121_4c3871a97e_o_d.jpg

13992250741_5c1f1fa73a_o_d.jpg

13995860634_47eae3f86f_o_d.jpg

13995860574_9e95a81077_o_d.jpg

13972319686_d4292ee49e_o_d.jpg

13995425565_9971ae8a83_o_d.jpg

13992247941_714d2cb230_o_d.jpg

13972317956_f84dd10201_o_d.jpg

Thanks for looking, more from the set here

TBH Carl, it looks as though you're having one or two problems with your exposure - you have hotspots on 1,2 & 7 but you're way under on 6. The skin tone are also off between 4 & 7 (for example)

3 looks as though she's stood awkwardly, causing all sorts or creases in her skin.

4 has them squinting too much

7 her expression says she'd rather be elsewhere (and I hope they filled the hole in afterwards)

8. is nearly the best of them, but the shadow from the candles on the wall is too much and its worth getting the DJ to switch lasers of for first dance. She has a lovely green spot on her head.

Sorry this is harsh, but I don't think the set works.

thats great info for me hugh and really appreciated. Yes, spotting them now, the green laser on the head lol and I should have picked a better one with the umbrella where the squinting was not so obvious, the problem with that was an old lady who was helping me by holding the reflector, kept shining it on them too direct, I have one picture where they're just holding their hands up over the faces its that bright lol, bless the old biddy.

I'll make mental notes of these issues, my main problem was I have 3 strobes, normally I fill the room up with light from those, but I forgot those but thankfully had some speedlites and about 50 batteries so I was way underpowered on the lighting to what I originally wanted. That was a lesson learnt!

The crit isn't harsh - Im new to this compared to a lot of you and I just absorb the crit, never take it to heart, and hopefully turn that into a positive. Thats what its about, I'm not going to learn any other way :)

Thank you Hugh - very very appreciated!

Not a bad set Carl, especially if you are new to wedding togging. The first and last one are very appealing.

I'm absolutely no great expert, but my overall impression is that with most images the lighting is too hard. E.g. with #2 I assume window light, but it needs softening, perhaps with a reflector opposite the window. With #4 and #7 it would have been better to get them in the shade or to use more fill.

Yes, your biggest enemy here is the light - far too harsh. I know it's tough to find areas of open shade when the trees aren't out yet and the sun is still quite low, but you have to avoid that speckled and broken shadow as it's very unattractive. In harsh light try and get the sun behind your bride (and groom) and use it as a rim light. You need your bride to be comfortable and relaxed too. She has a nice open face in #2, but by #7 she looks like she is dying to get up. Getting people to do awkward things is fine, but you have to have oodles of charm and charisma in order to keep them keen and lighthearted.

Two quick points -

1) watch your backgrounds (television in number 2)
2) avoid dappled lighting as it will screw up your exposure (number 7).

HTH

Hi Carl,

Unfortunately I have to agree with others above, there is quite a lot wrong with the set of images, and I'm imagining that continues through the whole set you will deliver to the client sadly. For instance #1 is over exposed, #3 is just her back and I can't understand really why you would shoot this, I'm guessing to show the back of the dress but it's so close up there's nothing really to look at... People fastening the dress is a great shot, or a full length image of the back of the bride is nice, but this really is way to close up.

#6 is the same too for me, it's so close up there's no feeling or emotion to it, the couple aren't really in shot other than a small bit of them so there's none of them looking at each other etc... I'm guessing this is during the 1st dance but I honestly can't tell for definite. Also its very underexposed.

#7 looks like she's having a pee... Always does when people have a bride squatting... I'd 100% avoid doing this shot in the future.

The rest are 'ok' but I have to be honest and say there's not many redeeming features to the set. I feel from looking at them you lack some of the technical ability to carry this off well and also some of the creativity at present to make interesting photos under the pressure of a wedding day, so even if the image is technically ok there's a lack of imagination or interest in the image.

I apologise that the above is quite harsh but I really want to give you honest critique. If I were you I would think about putting a lid on weddings for a while, learn more about the technical side of things, practice on friends and family, maybe attend some courses on shooting weddings / bridal portraits and then come back to it once you're a bit further on with your learning. Some times it's good to take a step back so you can take 2 forwards later on.

Again I apologise for the above being a bit harsh, I don't mean it to be nasty, I just know you want to improve and I feel that you need some honest feedback to do so :)

Hi Carl,

Unfortunately I have to agree with others above, there is quite a lot wrong with the set of images, and I'm imagining that continues through the whole set you will deliver to the client sadly. For instance #1 is over exposed, #3 is just her back and I can't understand really why you would shoot this, I'm guessing to show the back of the dress but it's so close up there's nothing really to look at... People fastening the dress is a great shot, or a full length image of the back of the bride is nice, but this really is way to close up.

#6 is the same too for me, it's so close up there's no feeling or emotion to it, the couple aren't really in shot other than a small bit of them so there's none of them looking at each other etc... I'm guessing this is during the 1st dance but I honestly can't tell for definite. Also its very underexposed.

#7 looks like she's having a pee... Always does when people have a bride squatting... I'd 100% avoid doing this shot in the future.

The rest are 'ok' but I have to be honest and say there's not many redeeming features to the set. I feel from looking at them you lack some of the technical ability to carry this off well and also some of the creativity at present to make interesting photos under the pressure of a wedding day, so even if the image is technically ok there's a lack of imagination or interest in the image.

I apologise that the above is quite harsh but I really want to give you honest critique. If I were you I would think about putting a lid on weddings for a while, learn more about the technical side of things, practice on friends and family, maybe attend some courses on shooting weddings / bridal portraits and then come back to it once you're a bit further on with your learning. Some times it's good to take a step back so you can take 2 forwards later on.

Again I apologise for the above being a bit harsh, I don't mean it to be nasty, I just know you want to improve and I feel that you need some honest feedback to do so :)

Ouch!

Well hopefully Carl takes it in the spirit it is meant as I'm not saying it to be a tw@t, but if it's too harsh and he wants me to remove it then I will do without hesitation

It's a pretty fair assessment, for sure.

Back