Wedding Ring shadow

Name
Jack
Edit My Images
No
This is one of the first every pictures I took, would welcome some feedback on how to improve it, would ideally like to re-shoot it this weekend:) I feel that it isn't working aswell as it could be.. but i'm not sure why...

13841_1173822748878_1327333100_30460304_2928248_n.jpg

very creative and simple photo, I'm tempted to take a picture of my wedding ring like this :)

Hi Jack.
I think the color is a bit too yellow, and the ring a bit central. The spine of the book isn't quite vertical. Not sure about your choice of text - usually something that relates to love, marriage etc. Did you use flash, or natural light (I thought flash by the highlight on the ring). Natural light can work well too.

hmmm, forgive me for being frank, but it's a tad cliched for my own liking. However having said that, there are ways you could improve it. The light from behind is a wee bit too low, making the shadow a bit long. There is some distortion of the 'perfect heart' shape because the book is on an angle, needs to be dead straight to camera if you want the perfect shape. It also looks like the white balance may be a bit out, too warm as if shot with tungsten household lights, though that may be deliberate on your part to keep a 'warm' look. Also, seems thats a bible and I have no idea of your religious beliefs, but try and choose a page that is relevant or means something to you [the one you have chosen may well do that, I am just saying this for ideas] or perhaps a book with personal sentimental meaning - I have seen it done with things like hefty volumes of Shakespeare, etc.

Have another go, see how you get on (y)

hmmm, forgive me for being frank, but it's a tad cliched for my own liking. However having said that, there are ways you could improve it. The light from behind is a wee bit too low, making the shadow a bit long. There is some distortion of the 'perfect heart' shape because the book is on an angle, needs to be dead straight to camera if you want the perfect shape. It also looks like the white balance may be a bit out, too warm as if shot with tungsten household lights, though that may be deliberate on your part to keep a 'warm' look. Also, seems thats a bible and I have no idea of your religious beliefs, but try and choose a page that is relevant or means something to you [the one you have chosen may well do that, I am just saying this for ideas] or perhaps a book with personal sentimental meaning - I have seen it done with things like hefty volumes of Shakespeare, etc.

^^^ what she said - oh - and if you do give it another try - give the ring a bit of a polish as well before shooting - with shots like this, it's all in the details... no fingerprints/smudges/scratches etc.

A great classical shot the ring and the heart but it needs to be technically perfect and as Yv said you need to find the right book and the right passage, something significant for your couple.

Great, thanks for all the feedback!

As far as the lighting as this was done a long time ago, it was just with a torch strapped to a tripod! BUT I own a speedlight.

Shall give it another try over the weekend and let you know how I get on :)

As thieery says, its a shot that has been done before by a lot of photographers so if you're going to do it you need to a) do it amazingly or b) brings something new to it to make it yours!

Heres one I done for my best mate
29TheRings.jpg

The passage on the page is irrelevant apart from Psalm 23 - The Lord is my shepherd - Thats his job. I honestly picked up the bible and it opened at that page, but he and his wife didnt want the passage just the bit you see.
Hope you dont mind me posting in your thread.

I like the idea of the double heart in this, but apart from that, I did notice the "I am a worm" part of the text!
Also, as has already been said, these heart shadows are not the most creative shot generally, but if people ask for it, there's no accounting for taste.

Last edited:

Pretty much what yv said - its a real cliche (especially when done on st paul's letter to the corinthians). It also looks a little bit soft.

I like this alot..but as already been said..would be better placed on a text of love or marriage.

I did this one for an album cover (by request) for a wedding last year. I used a dictionary with the word LOVE

7190052265_7b85958f17_c.jpg

You will often hear photographers say "it's been done before" and yes this is a very common shot. The way i look at it is yes it has been done before but never for your couple.
This makes it special to them, also they probable don't spend time on forums and may never have seen it before. How many times have you heard the same old jokes during the speech only for someone to say " i don't know how he thought of that" . I use to have a group shot on my website with the guests in a heart shape. Was it cheesy, "yes" had it been done before "yes" did it help me get an 5-8 extra weddings a year "yes"

You will often hear photographers say "it's been done before" and yes this is a very common shot. The way i look at it is yes it has been done before but never for your couple.
This makes it special to them, also they probable don't spend time on forums and may never have seen it before. How many times have you heard the same old jokes during the speech only for someone to say " i don't know how he thought of that" . I use to have a group shot on my website with the guests in a heart shape. Was it cheesy, "yes" had it been done before "yes" did it help me get an 5-8 extra weddings a year "yes"

Hey - don't knock Cheese. Cheese Sells - Asda has half an Aisle dedicated to it...:LOL:

Heres one I done for my best mate
29TheRings.jpg

The passage on the page is irrelevant apart from Psalm 23 - The Lord is my shepherd - Thats his job. I honestly picked up the bible and it opened at that page, but he and his wife didnt want the passage just the bit you see.
Hope you dont mind me posting in your thread.

What a wonderful text they can quote at each other in future years - "I am a worm" and "all they that be fat" :D

Back