Wedding Togs and Back Button Focus

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
No
Hi all
Who uses back button focus for weddings (apologies to non wedding pros, but i guess its stil relevant).

Do you use it all day?
Do you use it and have the back button focus set to AI servo (canon)

What made you switch and why?

I do a LOT of focus recompose (5d Mk2), sometimes this is even when the subject hasnt moved. Also, recessional and confetti shots etc...having the thumb on the BBF and AI servo may save the need for switching modes etc.
Have you found its given you better results?

Contemplating giving this a go....

I use back button focus. It would be a nightmare to change between that and the shutter throughout the day so is best kept on one or the other.

Not sure why you'd set it to AI servo though? Mine is on one shot and the DOF preview button set to activate AI Servo.

I swapped because sometimes in tricky light you can get the focus nailed and not have to worry about it again until people move, whereas keeping the focus on the shutter creates an opportunity for focus to be missed.

Because using BBF with 'One Shot' is pretty pointless. The only advantage that I can think of if using a focus assist lamp on a flash unit.

Because using BBF with 'One Shot' is pretty pointless. The only advantage that I can think of if using a focus assist lamp on a flash unit.
No it's not. I use it in one shot all the time and like Ben the dof preview button activates ai servo when required (walking down the aisle etc. )

I have tried to use the shutter button to focus and I hate it and find Bbf to be a much easier way to focus.

I don't use it and have never had an issue with anything being OOF due to using the shutter half depress to lock focus even for ages. In fact I held it for a while at the last wedding and 2 people walked in front of the subject but it still retained focus. I've always wondered what's so great about BBF as I've never tried it. I'm guessing as so many people use it then it must be good but I've never felt I needed it.

No it's not. I use it in one shot all the time and like Ben the dof preview button activates ai servo when required (walking down the aisle etc. )

I have tried to use the shutter button to focus and I hate it and find Bbf to be a much easier way to focus.
Me too.

I don't know anyone who uses BBF 'sometimes'. It's a contradiction in terms.

I used to keep the camera in continuous AF, but stopped because the AF in continuous knocks the keeper rate down compared to one-shot on static subjects.

BBF with AF-C (continuous) all the time. Seems sensible. I have the focus function completed disabled on the shutter. Seems to suit me for everything, not just weddings.

it really isn't pointless. It makes focus recomposing much easier because you don't have to stay half cocked on the shutter constantly.

Using BFF + C-AF constantly, I often forget about this, so the reminder is good, thanks

I've tried to get into using BBF but can't. Tried it for most of a wedding once but went back in the end to the old half shutter. Tried it again a week later for the walking down the aisle shot. Now I can't be bothered anymore. I still have a custom menu function on my Nikon to allow me to quickly switch back if I want to but wasn't tempted last week.

I don't use it and have never had an issue with anything being OOF due to using the shutter half depress to lock focus even for ages. In fact I held it for a while at the last wedding and 2 people walked in front of the subject but it still retained focus. I've always wondered what's so great about BBF as I've never tried it. I'm guessing as so many people use it then it must be good but I've never felt I needed it.

We're talking about different scenarios.

In your situation, two people walking in front of the lens wouldn't affect anything as the focus will still be the same as your inital focus, providing you haven't let your finger off the shutter.

However, if you shoot a burst with the shutter then let your finger off you then have to focus again. If you shoot with BBF, that isn't necessary unless the subject has moved.

Last edited:
Depends what kind of metering you use. If it's spot metering then it makes sense to use the shutter button for both.
I'm not sure why, I rarely focus and meter from the same object.

it really isn't pointless. It makes focus recomposing much easier because you don't have to stay half cocked on the shutter constantly.

The point that you are both missing is this:

Using BFF + C-AF constantly, I often forget about this, so the reminder is good, thanks

BBF is designed to be used with AI Servo/C-AF, because that's when it's at it's most efficient. The only thing that you lose out on is the AF Assist from a flash unit which generally only works in One Shot.

If you want to focus and recompose, focus with BBF, remove your thumb from the AF button and recompose. It's as simple as that.

im still not really sure how any of what you just wrote backs up your claim that back button and one shot is pointless.

That's what we were replying to.

Yes I also use it for servo. But that irrelevant. Your comment was that back button and one shot is pointless.

It isn't.

I switched to BBF a couple of years ago because so many people were singing it's praises so, thought I'd give it a go.

Most of the time with Al servo, except when getting table shots etc, I switch to one shot.

Took a couple of weddings to get used to it but, couldn't imagine not using it now.

Many ways to skin a cat. You can use the shutter to expose, use exposure lock then recompose and shutter to focus. I guess it's a button press more than using back button but it doesn't bother me enough to want to change tbh.

Many ways to skin a cat. You can use the shutter to expose, use exposure lock then recompose and shutter to focus. I guess it's a button press more than using back button but it doesn't bother me enough to want to change tbh.
It's whatever you're comfortable with.

I hated AF cameras till I discovered BBF.

im still not really sure how any of what you just wrote backs up your claim that back button and one shot is pointless.

That's what we were replying to.

Yes I also use it for servo. But that irrelevant. Your comment was that back button and one shot is pointless.

It isn't.

Because BBF + AI Servo effectively gives you One Shot capacity. If you switch between AI Servo & One Shot then you just add another layer of complication.

Because BBF + AI Servo effectively gives you One Shot capacity. If you switch between AI Servo & One Shot then you just add another layer of complication.

Ahhh I see what you are saying now. I agree with that normally

Apart from one condition. On the 5d mark 3 you swap the dof preview button to change to servo as it is being held. It's right by your second to last finger and so it's completely instinctive to hold it as you want servo and let go when you want one shot. Once you are used to it you don't even think about it so you get the best of both worlds

When i first started working professionally I was told all pros use bbf (i was young and just went with it) and have never used any other way..its very useful for sports shooting as well as weddings.

Cool... Great responses as I was unsure as to these it's but I think I will give this a try to see whether I get more keepers.

I guess the BBf is moved to the
AF- on button.

The * button remains as the exposure lock

Cheers all, gonna try This on my x100s too.

Cool... Great responses as I was unsure as to these it's but I think I will give this a try to see whether I get more keepers.

I guess the BBf is moved to the
AF- on button.

The * button remains as the exposure lock

Cheers all, gonna try This on my x100s too.
I use the * button (whilst ever I own a camera with no AF-On) so that all cameras are the same.
And I use the shutter button half press to lock exposure, so I can choose where to expose from (it'd be a nightmare having both under the thumb)

I use the * button (whilst ever I own a camera with no AF-On) so that all cameras are the same.
And I use the shutter button half press to lock exposure, so I can choose where to expose from (it'd be a nightmare having both under the thumb)

Different strokes, different folks. Every single wedding that we shot with an AF camera was with it set up as standard i.e. focus and exposure lock on the shutter release.

And I only used servo focus once in a blue moon ... :rolleyes:

So if I understand correctly

Focus with back button saves the focus recompose process when taking multiple shots once the initial shot is composed.

Why would you have the meter lock on the shutter.

I just tried that and after the initial s*** the metering changed. So the focus didn't change bit the metering did....

So if I understand correctly

Focus with back button saves the focus recompose process when taking multiple shots once the initial shot is composed.

Why would you have the meter lock on the shutter.

I just tried that and after the initial s*** the metering changed. So the focus didn't change bit the metering did....
You can use the half press to meter from a neutral subject in tricky lighting (just like using the exp lock button) or if it's unnecessary just shoot as the meter will 'lock' as you shoot.

I tend to meter from a corner of the room if I'm shooting the bride backlit in a window during prep, or meter from the grass outside during posed shooting. sort of thing...

Yesterday was my first wedding using BBF* - so useful and I don't know why I didn't try it sooner. Exposure was mostly done using Expodisc so uncoupling the metering and focus wasn't so much the issue - it's just so much easier to have the ability to change from single to continuous focus without having to find the switch (I'm on a D700/D200 combo and the focus mode switch is in a position I find awkward to operate easily while shooting).

*I had shot with BBF for several weeks prior to avoid the "Oh what a perfect shot...why's it not in focus... oh **** I'm supposed to press the back button!" moments

Neither pro nor wedding photographer, but I use BBF regardless of focus mode; difficult to describe the benefits of separating focus and exposure, but it makes far more sense once you're used to it and then try to switch back (if using someone else's camera, etc.). I was handed a friend's 600D the other week and make a complete mess of focusing... muscle memory completely thrown off, I mean, the camera wouldn't let me hit the shutter without refocusing, huh!?!?

I find myself using AI-servo when shooting wide open as its really easy for subjects to drift in and out of a shallow DOF. In my opinion, one-shot modes and focus-recompose in these situations seem like asking for slightly OOF subjects

Neither pro nor wedding photographer, but I use BBF regardless of focus mode; difficult to describe the benefits of separating focus and exposure, but it makes far more sense once you're used to it and then try to switch back (if using someone else's camera, etc.). I was handed a friend's 600D the other week and make a complete mess of focusing... muscle memory completely thrown off, I mean, the camera wouldn't let me hit the shutter without refocusing, huh!?!?

I find myself using AI-servo when shooting wide open as its really easy for subjects to drift in and out of a shallow DOF. In my opinion, one-shot modes and focus-recompose in these situations seem like asking for slightly OOF subjects

i think this is the key bit for me.

I shoot most of a wedding WIDE OPEN...i mean F 1.6 F2 F2.8 occasionaly at F4 or 5.6. 35mm F1.6 and an 85mmF1.2

And i think this is where i may benefit. AI servo, keep the BBF pressed and fire the shutter at the key points. Hopefully this, as you say, then keeps focus as the subjects move when shooting a shallow DOF.

I think i also have a bad habit of focus and recompose and firing the shutter before i have finished the recompose movement. Perhaps seperating the shutter and the focus may help with this...

I normally use evaluative metering and exp comp is set to the big wheel. I know that if im shootingsomething that is brigh, or pure white i need approx 5 clicks on the wheel to prvent it being mid grey...

I think i will give it a go and see how i get on with it this weekend..

Ok, this may seem and odd question,

Using BBF set to the AF-on how wold you (if using Ap priority mode)

Meter, exposure lock, focus, recompose shoot. (or whatever order you do it in)

I guess im thinking that the bride is standing up whilst all guests are sitting, beautiful shaft of light is hitting her, the room is fairly dark.

You want to expose the bride correctly but want to retain some details of the guests....

theres an image in my head i have seen by one of the guys on here in a similar scene (will try and find a link) which would be a good example..

normally i would spot meter of the bride, focus with shutter button using the central AF point, twiddle the exp com by a little to preserve some of the guests / shadows, exposure lock then recompose...

Bride sat down and i miss the shot lol!!!

...i maybe be overthinking this .....

You want to expose the bride correctly but want to retain some details of the guests....

...i maybe be overthinking this .....
Definitely.

You know as well as I do that if you're exposing for the bride, the guests will either have detail or not. You're in no position to guarantee both.

But back to the point.

Eye to the VF, thumb on BBF, exp comp generally on +2/3, if the room was dark I may have added some more exp comp, but generally I'd have got that in the first shot. Unfortunately the dramatic shafts of sunlight are what's missing from my local venues.

I have exp comp on the half press, if I think a bright subject will knock out the metering, I'll aim the camera into a darker area and lock an exposure in (likewise for dark subject, brighter area). It sounds complicated, but it's done in milliseconds.

My usual focus point is upper right (the 7d allows for different points in landscape and portrait) but a jab of the centre of the multi controller toggles to centre focus point.

All

Thanks for the hints and tips for this. Used BBF at the weekend for a wedding......what a difference. Took a while to get the hang of it but once it 'clicked' i couldnt beleive i havent used it before....

Makes total sense. BBF Ai servo...Moving subject stops, let go of BBF and shoot...no need to focus recompose every time...

Thanks again all

Rgds

Interesting thread. Using BBF, how would you approach the following?

Imagine a scenario where a B&G are standing on a hill (shot from a distance). Green grass in lower part of the frame, bright sky in the upper part of the frame. You want the couple exposed correctly and in focus. You focus using *, but how do you lock the exposure so that they don't become a silhouette.

I guess what I'm asking is how do you exposure lock when using bbf? Does half depressing the shutter exposure lock?

Last edited:
I guess what I'm asking is how do you exposure lock when using bbf? Does half depressing the shutter exposure lock?

yes.

But also you can use af-on for bbf which is what i do then leave * as exposure lock also if you don't want to be holding the shutter.

providing your body has * and af-on

Back