Weekend on the Llyn Peninsula

Love 'em all but No3 is my fav. It's St Hywyn's Church at Aberdaron isn't it? A lovely place.

Love 'em all but No3 is my fav. It's St Hywyn's Church at Aberdaron isn't it? A lovely place.

Thanks.. it is Aberdaron, had a bit of luck with the church too as a concert was on which coincided with the sunset. I was hoping for a more dramatic sky but I think the subtle sunset works quite well with the lit interior

Nice Simon! Great sky and clouds in No1, love the reflection of the fire red sunset in the sea. Nice light and foreground rocks, picking up that light. Silhouette of the castle on the headland.
No2 great view of the range, lovely cloud and shadows clipping across the peak and down across the valley to the shore line, great contrast between the dark shadows and green fields. I love the view with Snowdonia in the horizon.
No3 great colour! I love the atmosphere of this shot, great silhouette of the church an the light in the window, really like this shot.
No4 Aha! Just realised it's the same shot as No1 in daylight (ummm can you tell I've just driven back from North Wales, so really switched on today) another nice shot.... I think I like the sunset one a little better. Eye nicely drawn to the castle.
No 5 really like this too, great light coming in from the left bathing the sea and rocks in light, very nice.
No 6 for some reason doesn't do it for me, I can't quite put my finger on why?
I think it would be 2 then 3 then 1 for me if I had to rate 1-3.

By the way, I was wandering around Beddgelert and in a shop with a gallery in I saw some nice shots by a guy called Simon Kitchin do you know him;). My visit to Snowdonia was full of mixed emotions. It was like being a small boy in a sweet shop but having your hands tied and your mouth stitched up:(. We had my 84 year old Father in law with us which pretty much totally curtailed any walking, climbing or photography ( it really hurt ).
On a positive note, it reminded me of the sheer majestic beauty of the area. I had spent a lot of time there doing MLTB in the 80's and I told SWMBO that I am coming back as soon as I can. I did get a few shots off when I managed to sneak off, will see what there like when I download them today.

BTW, I'm not at all envious of you and Kevin, Nick that live there!

Last edited:
Nice Simon! Great sky and clouds in No1, love the reflection of the fire red sunset in the sea. Nice light and foreground rocks, picking up that light. Silhouette of the castle on the headland.
No2 great view of the range, lovely cloud and shadows clipping across the peak and down across the valley to the shore line, great contrast between the dark shadows and green fields. I love the view with Snowdonia in the horizon.
No3 great colour! I love the atmosphere of this shot, great silhouette of the church an the light in the window, really like this shot.
No4 Aha! Just realised it's the same shot as No1 in daylight (ummm can you tell I've just driven back from North Wales, so really switched on today) another nice shot.... I think I like the sunset one a little better. Eye nicely drawn to the castle.
No 5 really like this too, great light coming in from the left bathing the sea and rocks in light, very nice.
No 6 for some reason doesn't do it for me, I can't quite put my finger on why?
I think it would be 2 then 3 then 1 for me if I had to rate 1-3.

By the way, I was wandering around Beddgelert and in a shop with a gallery in I saw some nice shots by a guy called Simon Kitchin do you know him;). My visit to Snowdonia was full of mixed emotions. It was like being a small boy in a sweet shop but having your hands tied and your mouth stitched up:(. We had my 84 year old Father in law with us which pretty much totally curtailed any walking, climbing or photography ( it really hurt ).
On a positive note, it reminded me of the sheer majestic beauty of the area. I had spent a lot of time there doing MLTB in the 80's and I told SWMBO that I am coming back as soon as I can. I did get a few shots off when I managed to sneak off, will see what there like when I download them today.

BTW, I'm not at all envious of you and Kevin, Nick that live there!

Thanks again Steve for taking the time to give such detailed feedback, much appreciated and interesting as always. Hmm, Simon Kitchin, the name does seem a bit familiar ;-)

I've been getting around the whole of North Wales much more over the last 12 months whilst working on a location guide book of the area I'll be releasing soon, probably taken more photos during this period than the previous 4/5 years and I'm constantly in awe of what amazing a varied scenery North Wales has to offer.. mountains, lakes, coastline, industrial heritage, wildlife.. the list goes on. I honestly believe it has more to offer than pretty much any other area in the UK, I'm biased slightly by living here but as an "immigrant" Yorkshireman I think I'm not far wrong :)

Simon

Thats my pleasure i try to give some meaningful comments, as i think "Lovely Shot" is mostly a foregone conclusion (unless there My Photos;)). I think its valuable to know what someone likes or dislikes about a Photograph, because sometimes it matches what you think about a picture yourself before you post it, and more editing might ensue!
The guide book project sounds interesting! So is that a general guide book? Or specifically aimed at the Photographer?
I'm not sure if i have ever seen a "photographers guide to" an area?

Its been too long since i visited last, and last week i realised it was much too long, used to spend a lot of time out of Bethesda, my my how the whole area has changed...
When did the old Cafe disappear off the summit and that bunker turn up? I guess some things dont change much.

BTW loved your "Fairy Glen" shot;).

Last edited:
Thats my pleasure i try to give some meaningful comments, as i think "Lovely Shot" is mostly a foregone conclusion (unless there My Photos;)). I think its valuable to know what someone likes or dislikes about a Photograph, because sometimes it matches what you think about a picture yourself before you post it, and more editing might ensue!
The guide book project sounds interesting! So is that a general guide book? Or specifically aimed at the Photographer?
I'm not sure if i have ever seen a "photographers guide to" an area?

Its been too long since i visited last, and last week i realised it was much too long, used to spend a lot of time out of Bethesda, my my how the whole area has changed...
When did the old Cafe disappear off the summit and that bunker turn up? I guess some things dont change much.

BTW loved your "Fairy Glen" shot;).

It has been a while Steve, the new summit building on Snowdon opened in June 2009. I also find feedback like yours really helpful, it's easy to be too attached to your own photos so hearing others thoughts is great.

Fairy Glen is my best selling photo by far and one of my favourites too, it's hanging on the living room wall.

The book is dedicated to photographers, it's one of a series of books covering much of the UK, published by a new company called Fotovue.. the first book based in the Lake District has just been released and if you're interested here's a link to their website which gives more details, don't want to run the risk of running an advertising campaign on here ;-)

http://www.fotovue.com/

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon, 2009! Makes me feel worse:(. Better not look at my log book to see when I was there last then. I knew it must have been sometime when I came to putting a name to the few pictures I actually took last week, and struggled to remember some of the names of the peaks. Now I'm on a mission.

Yes I did try to get to Fairy Glen but it didn't happen. On the list for next visit! Beautiful photograph Simon.

Thank you for the link Simon! Excellent! On the Xmas list now:) I am sure that TP would not object as it is after all a range of books to assist fellow photographers. Never seen them before looking forward to getting hold of a copy. Good luck with finishing it off.

Hi Simon, 2009! Makes me feel worse:(. Better not look at my log book to see when I was there last then. I knew it must have been sometime when I came to putting a name to the few pictures I actually took last week, and struggled to remember some of the names of the peaks. Now I'm on a mission.

Yes I did try to get to Fairy Glen but it didn't happen. On the list for next visit! Beautiful photograph Simon.

Thank you for the link Simon! Excellent! On the Xmas list now:) I am sure that TP would not object as it is after all a range of books to assist fellow photographers. Never seen them before looking forward to getting hold of a copy. Good luck with finishing it off.

Look forward to seeing the results of your mission Steve :)

Cheers

Simon

Back