Weird lightning on subject. Help

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi!

I took some concert photos yesterday, and some weird lighting stuff came on my subjects, why is that?

I have never experienced this before, so I don't know why it happend. It came on every images.

140713oav_stoksund_stokksund_sommerfestival_sie.jpg

I used Sigma 50mm 1,4 and BW Ultra-Slim Digital MC UV-filter. Never used that equipment either, because my old ones got stolen.

Maybe it's because of their lightning system? (see red circle).

Could you help me to sort this out?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Why do you have a skylight filter on?

I see it's a UV-filter now. Sorry about that. I use it to protect my lens from dust, beer mess and all that :)

It seems like the only way to (almost) sort it out, is by doing it black and white.

Your sensor is protected by a film of glass that acts as a UV filter.
There is probably no real reason to add something to the lightpath.
Light bounces between the front element and the filter causing strange reflections with some lighting/angles.

I'd try without one to see what happens. :)

Lot of crap being spouted in here.... LOL

That filter has done incredibly bizarre things to their skin tones too!

No it hasn't. A UV filter will have practically no effect on skin tones in normal daylight, so how the hell can you say that it is here under coloured lighting? LOL. The color of the lights has effected skin tone. How can a filter designed to pass all visible light without impediment colour anything?

Is it not just an artifact of the LED stage lights? Being monochromatic they do weird things like that...

Incorrect. A monochromatic light source won't do this. The results seen in this image are caused by excessive dynamic range, and/or gamut, In this case, those areas are outside the sensor's colour gamut. Simple as that. And there's nothing to be done about it. The sensor's photosites are just saturated.

No it hasn't. A UV filter will have practically no effect on skin tones in normal daylight, so how the hell can you say that it is here under coloured lighting? LOL. The color of the lights has effected skin tone. How can a filter designed to pass all visible light without impediment colour anything?

Incorrect. A monochromatic light source won't do this. The results seen in this image are caused by excessive dynamic range, and/or gamut, In this case, those areas are outside the sensor's colour gamut. Simple as that. And there's nothing to be done about it. The sensor's photosites are just saturated.

Well I was just being silly and meaning those big black circles on their faces...

That's kind of what I meant, LEDs can saturate a single narrow wavelength, as opposed to incandescent lights which saturate a range of frequencies...

Gotcha. It's not really a product of being monochromatic though. That colour is just beyond the gamut of the sensor, regardless of whether it's monochromatic or not.... which it probably isn't. Stage lighting uses RGB LEDs, or a collection of red, green and blue LEDs to create colours, so it's highly unlikely to be monochromatic.

Gotcha. It's not really a product of being monochromatic though. That colour is just beyond the gamut of the sensor, regardless of whether it's monochromatic or not.... which it probably isn't. Stage lighting uses RGB LEDs, or a collection of red, green and blue LEDs to create colours, so it's highly unlikely to be monochromatic.
But the reds, the greens, the blues - they are all monochromatic light sources - e.g. a blue led contains a single wavelength, not a bunch of wavelengths of similar colour in a normal distribution like a conventional light source...

But the reds, the greens, the blues - they are all monochromatic light sources - e.g. a blue led contains a single wavelength, not a bunch of wavelengths of similar colour in a normal distribution like a conventional light source...

Actually it doesn't if you look at the spectral response. It obviously has a strong peak around 450nm, as it's blue, but it contains a whole host of other wavelengths, including green.

image_full

Also, real monochromatic light sources, such as the most common one, low pressure sodium lamps, DO have a genuinely monochromatic response,

SOX.png

and more often than not will not result in the kind of effects seen in the OP's image.

The OP's image is simply showing signs of the colour being out of gamut, or outside the chromacicity map of the sensor.

Back