Well aye.... Eye.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Well aye... Eye.

Sat on the fence, at 180 degrees upwards! Awkward angle then..

Exif:
Copyright: Paul Iddon - A View of the UK
Camera: Canon EOS 70D
Lens: EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Exposure: Manual exposure, 1/250 sec, f/10, ISO 200

Paul.

So how do those eyes work? Are they just grids of lens-less receptors? Or grids of micro-lenses with receptors behind?

So how do those eyes work? Are they just grids of lens-less receptors? Or grids of micro-lenses with receptors behind?

Compound eyes are made up of thousands of individual visual receptors, called ommatidia. Each ommatidium is a functioning eye in itself, and thousands of them together create a broad field of vision for the fly. Every ommatidium has its own nerve fiber connecting to the optic nerve, which relays information to the fly's brain. A fly's eyes are immobile, but because of their spherical shape and protrusion from the fly's head they give the fly an almost 360-degree view of the world.

Paul.

Compound eyes are made up of thousands of individual visual receptors, called ommatidia. Each ommatidium is a functioning eye in itself, and thousands of them together create a broad field of vision for the fly. Every ommatidium has its own nerve fiber connecting to the optic nerve, which relays information to the fly's brain. A fly's eyes are immobile, but because of their spherical shape and protrusion from the fly's head they give the fly an almost 360-degree view of the world.

Paul.
fascinating bugs - but so disgusting. Nature makes some amazing creatures thats for sure!

I found an empty hoverfly head on top of the bird feeder once. The front was all intact but the back was completely hollow, kind of like a hoverfly mask. I had a look through it in the hopes I could find out what a hoverfly view of the world would be like but I couldn't see much.

I suppose scientists must do something a bit more complicated than that....

Great close up Paul ;)

Back