Went to YWP again

Nice facial expression on the lioness. The last shot of Vladimir is nice,but the others don't do a lot for me I'm afraid. You really need to get eye contact,in my humble opinion,if you are going for close up photos of their heads/faces. Then again,what do I know. I haven't been brave enough to post any of my hundreds I have taken at YWP. Its really local to me and one of the best places I have ever been to to photograph captive animals.Lots of enclosures where you look over the fences instead of through them,and even some you can walk through and get down to ground level with the animals.:D

Thanks Robin for your reply, I'm still learning to be patient and wait for the right shot but I think I'm getting there :) what I'm trying to work out is if this lens is going to be sharp enough to take shots like this, get your pictures up so we can have a look (y)

I agree that the lioness is the pick of the bunch. I also agree on the importance of eye contact. The last tiger shot is a nice pose but looks soft to me.

Thanks Chris, Fi, (y), yeah I seem to be getting some shots sharp and some soft so I'm thinking it's what I'm doing more so than the lens, well any excuse to go visit this place again and shoot some more (y)

Just had a snoop on your flickr pages guys, great shots (y) I'm following you's as well now but not in a creepy way :LOL:

Last edited:
Perfect timing on the lioness agree about the eye contact but really good all the same

Thanks Robin for your reply, I'm still learning to be patient and wait for the right shot but I think I'm getting there :) what I'm trying to work out is if this lens is going to be sharp enough to take shots like this, get your pictures up so we can have a look (y)
There are some on my Flickr account,but only about 6 from YWP. If you manage to spend about an hour watching Drake,the Amur Leopard,even if he is snoozing he will probably wake up and climb down from one of his many platforms to go have a mooch around his enclosure.The trees and shrubs are getting more grown up so some good shots of him walking through the long grass etc can be had from the upper viewing area. Much better than through the glass or fence. The same goes for the tigers. Even if they are apparently asleep it isn't usually long til 1 out of the 3 has a wander around offering good views from un-restricted view along the raised wooden walkway.
Victor the Polar bear is best attempted as soon as the park opens at 10am. That's when they let him out of his overnight sleeping block,and he goes all over his huge enclosure looking for various food items. If you hang around long enough he usually goes for a swim after a big meal,and offers great shots as he shakes the water off as he emerges(sometimes whilst even part submerged so be ready ;))

Any excuse to go back to YWP. I need to check my calendar and get back up there myself soon. See how Vincent is getting on :)
Who is Vincent?

Pretty much covered in previous posts, but a nice set generally (y)

Thanks guys much appreciated, thanks for the tips Robin I will be trying these next time I visit and hopefully I'll come away with some nice sharp shots (y) next time I'm there Chris I'm going to get a yearly pass and if it was up to me I'd be there every weekend :)

Some are a little saturated, some are a little soft too,
but you are certainly getting the hang of it Paul,
Love the lioness feeding shot (y)

Thanks Cobra (y) My better half has booked a log cabin in the lakes for our wedding anniversary at the end of the month so we are going to visit South Lakes Safari Zoo :) so I can practice on the big cats there as well :) I might even take her out for a romantic meal :LOL:

Back