West Highland White

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
This is my Sister in laws Dog. I took a few photos of her at Christmas time, which seemed to turn out ok. She is called Brody. So I was a bit giddy and thirsty to try take some more, needless to say Brody was not quite so cooperative this time out. Maybe due to me taking these images in a different room that what she is used to. I also made the background (fussy papper) and bought the grey one (ikea) and I also wanted to try and use some normal room lighting as I like the idea of building a scene all these things I have not done before so it was a fast 1/2 hour of learning.
I did get a few photos, not many different poses :-( I would be most thankful if anyone could give some feedback on any aspect. eg: lighting/background /pov/pp, etc

Gaz

Btp_1.jpg

Brody_on_grey_tp.jpg

Brody_tongue_tp.jpg

Brody_wall_paper_tp.jpg

Last edited:
Cracking photos, 4 is my favourite, Like the way you've stage it but I prefer the cleaner colour in the last one though it's just taste. Not sure how many poses you can get a dog to do unless it's on Britains Got Talent tbh? Is th background Paper or material?

Sweet looking dog and nice soft lighting. Not sure about the crops on # 3 and 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

Nice shots. I think the number 2 is the best as there are less distractions i.e. the wallpaper and the lamp.

first class lovely set
Thank you.
Sweet looking dog and nice soft lighting. Not sure about the crops on # 3 and 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums
Thanks Jonathon. Happy the light looks soft. I did light from the side (camera right) and am now am thinking I should try a different aproach as this leaves quite a bit of shadow on the other side. I did have the Sister-inlaw hold a reflector but she was also controling Brody so that was a bit hit and miss.
Cracking photos, 4 is my favourite, Like the way you've stage it but I prefer the cleaner colour in the last one though it's just taste. Not sure how many poses you can get a dog to do unless it's on Britains Got Talent tbh? Is th background Paper or material?
Re The poses. Did think that when I typed the words :) I get what you say about the cleaner light.
The background is normal wallpaper. I rolled it out and taped the back with masking tape.

Gaz
I think they're lovely shots.
Thank you "King" Sir:)

Nice shots. I think the number 2 is the best as there are less distractions i.e. the wallpaper and the lamp.
Thanks Dave. I must admit I am quite drawn to that one.

Gaz
good shots
i would bounce my flash off the ceiling
Thank you. I may give that a go too, next time. All adds to variety :)

Gaz

Oh lovely set.
You've caught some real character there.

Lovely! I have 2 white ( not often) little dogs whom I would love to shoot - but are never still enough or clean enough to manage it.
For me I'm loving 2 and 4. Would be very proud to have it hanging on my wall.:clap:

Lovely! I have 2 white ( not often) little dogs whom I would love to shoot - but are never still enough or clean enough to manage it.
For me I'm loving 2 and 4. Would be very proud to have it hanging on my wall.:clap:
Awwwww that so kind of you to say, bucked me right up :)
I am sure you will get some nice photos of your (off white ) pooches. Thanks for letting me know your preferances,it seems people like the more straight on images eg: plane just the dog on a complimentry background.

Gaz

Awwwww that so kind of you to say, bucked me right up :)
I am sure you will get some nice photos of your (off white ) pooches. Thanks for letting me know your preferances,it seems people like the more straight on images eg: plane just the dog on a complimentry background.

Gaz
I always seem to be drawn to plane backgrounds. For me I think if you are shooting a single image, just shoot the image and nothing else ( for me that seems to work well ) so no busy backgrounds. But that's only my preference

Morning Anne. Thanks for the info always good to know what works for other people.

Gaz

Lots of character captured, good exposure of the fur, I don't like the scarf, but each to there own. Better background or taken out of focus would improve.

my dogs mum was a white west highland, look what happened to him <<----- :)

Back