Critique West Highlands: Glen Coe and Loch Awe

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I never delete a memory card until its full, and I was going through the card and found some treasures I never processed or kept on the Mac. They seemed too good to bin despite not being my preferred images of the shoot. Time is a great thing and I'm glad I kept them

1. Stobb Dearg early spring. D800/Ziess 21mm. Crop to 5x4

_DSC0187 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

2. Loch Awe, July. D610/Nikkor 24-70 F2.8 Crop left at 3x2. I normally hate overcast conditions and kept 4 from this shoot, but the light here and reflection, what the hell, I can have 5 right :D

_DSC2856 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

Two beauties Steve...but the second is by far my favourite.

Reactions: ST4
:agree: with Ruth.

#1 I don't like the crop. It feels too cut off at the bottom. Too much rocks, not enough water
#2 is the better image, nicely composed. Is the horizon sloping slightly though?

#1 I don't like the crop. It feels too cut off at the bottom. Too much rocks, not enough water
#2 is the better image, nicely composed. Is the horizon sloping slightly though?

1. Can't fix it, I've cropped the side off, not the bottoms. Its easy to recompose when I am back, and probably need to include a little less sky to fit it, or step back a tad.
2. Virtual horizon levelled, but, the shore on the other side zigs and zags, I think its ok..

Loch Awe for me. Castle Kilchurn never disappoints. Looks amazing in all weather conditions. Nice reflections. Well composed and exposure looks spot on.

I hate saying yeah me too but i'm going to have too agree and join the #2 gang, it is truly gorgeous:D:love:

Nice shots Steve 2 is a cracker.

2 stunning shots. Both very cliche but both stunning. Nice work chum.

The 1st is the iconic view of Stob Dearg - IRS nauseatingly overdone - but for a reason. I never pp'd this one at the time as I had two others but the angle facing up stream I twigged I didn't have one. I want to refine my shot here, a bit lower, bit more fall bit less sky.

The second was just a quick light play-missed it in pp and canned it but kept in on my memory card-saw it and thought yes I've seen and dive this take but the light just is so different to what I normally shoot I'd keep it

Love the second one. Not sure if the tree belongs in the 1st as I find it somewhat distracting.

Nice pair Steve,I like them both although no1 does look as though it's missing something at the bottom

1 is too bright, almost over-exposed but 2 is an absolute cracker!

Not so keen on no1, it seems a bit...ordinary for you :)

The 2nd is excellent, fantastic reflection with very moody, low level clouds and lovely soft light. Spot on mate (y)

Not so keen on no1, it seems a bit...ordinary for you :)

The 2nd is excellent, fantastic reflection with very moody, low level clouds and lovely soft light. Spot on mate (y)
Thanks Steve. I'm convinced with one it's as good as it can be for that location at that time of day. The time of day being the problem. Probably just an hour or so too late.

One was at dawn, the richness of the colour from the light break is what does it.

Back