What’s the autumn colour like in the Lakes?

I was up by Windermere today and I'd say its about average, might be a bit better in a week or two assuming the wind doesn't blow the leaves off first. I imagine if you hunt around you'd find some good colour.

I was up by Windermere today and I'd say its about average, might be a bit better in a week or two assuming the wind doesn't blow the leaves off first. I imagine if you hunt around you'd find some good colour.
I kind of expect it to be all over by the time I arrive on Friday. Half term week seems to always be at an awkward time as I'd need to visit before or after half term as its otherwise too busy for me.

This is today, just south of the lakes. Birches are yellow, some oaks are still green, there are some reds starting to appear
PXL_20221023_133047260~2 (3).jpg

This is today, just south of the lakes. Birches are yellow, some oaks are still green, there are some reds starting to appear
View attachment 371126
My house is just off the far right of this image (over the bay). We had very heavy rain and high winds on Wednesday, and much of the autumn colour has fallen (acers, ornamental oaks and so on). Beech still hanging on though, and actually, some of it hasn't yet turned. The beech hedge in the park is still pretty green, whilst the red oak above it is bare. In some previous years they have been golden together.

Beech is a bit weird though - it often hangs on to its leaves until just before the new ones appear.

Back