What do you folk think?

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
No
Just interested in peoples response to this.

Mate of mine recently got into photography. Bought a Canon DSLR. 3 days out of warranty comes up with error 20. Returns it to Canon who quote him a £180 repair bill and basically tell him. Out of warranty, tough.

In my mind its p*** poor on Canons part.

Error 20 is a mechanical failure, probably shutter.
How long did he have the camera before the error?

How much extended warranty would you expect to get for free?

Annoying yes, and a lot of companies cover things like this from time to time. But they've got to have a cut off at some point - do they let it slide for a week, a month, six months? Easier just to use the actual end of the warranty as the date to end the warranty...

You have to draw a line somewhere, usually it's the day the warranty expires!

Well, you don't say which country this was in, so impossible to give an opinion! If it was in EU, how long was the warranty, did comply with the EU legal minimum of 2 years? If in England one can have a case for manufacturing defects for a variable length of time depending upon product but I think 5 years for a camera may be right.

Well, you don't say which country this was in, so impossible to give an opinion! If it was in EU, how long was the warranty, did comply with the EU legal minimum of 2 years? If in England one can have a case for manufacturing defects for a variable length of time depending upon product but I think 5 years for a camera may be right.

the OP has pembrokeshire in his profile i would presume he sent the camera to canon uk
mine was also done under warranty in the uk via lehmanns stoke on trent mine was 2 weeks out of the 2 year canon warranty

the problem with the EU law thing is that you have to have an independent engineers report stating the fault was down to a manufacture defect which would probably cost as much as the repair
the warranty also lies with the seller / retailer not the manufacture canon uk would not be responsible for any EU legislation regarding warranty unless it was purchased from them directly
it can start to get a bit messy especially if the OP is the second + owner
i would still get back to canon and try for a bit of good will considering it is only a matter of days past it's warranty Lehmans told me when i took my camera to them that canon usually allow up to a month past warranty weather this is correct or not i don't know but they had a look at mine

You have to draw a line somewhere, usually it's the day the warranty expires!

So if your car expired 3 days after warranty you'd be quite happy for the manufacturer to say tough luck. Hand over 40% of the cost of the car for a repair. Dont think so.

How much extended warranty would you expect to get for free?

Annoying yes, and a lot of companies cover things like this from time to time. But they've got to have a cut off at some point - do they let it slide for a week, a month, six months? Easier just to use the actual end of the warranty as the date to end the warranty...

But its not a week, month or six months. Its 3 days and its a pretty feeble effort on Canons part.

So if your car expired 3 days after warranty you'd be quite happy for the manufacturer to say tough luck. Hand over 40% of the cost of the car for a repair. Dont think so.

But its not a week, month or six months. Its 3 days and its a pretty feeble effort on Canons part.
Legally, how would you challenge it???

As for cars, My car had a seatbelt fault a few months after the warranty period and I had to pay for an entire new unit!

As annoyed as I was, it was out of warranty so I didn't moan.

It's down to the retailer / company but if they say "tough" legally you have no recourse.

As Mark said, any warranty claims lies with the seller. Where was it purchased? new or used?

The other thing is, a warranty/guarantee isn't necessarily the end of any comeback. (I view them as a Minimum period, not the max)
Within the warranty period you're fully covered (according to the T&C's) but if something fails outside the warranty, especially JUST outside, manufacturers tend to help you out by either carrying out a repair at no cost, or sometimes reducing the costs.
Worth speaking to the seller first, then Canon again. Good PR is worth a fortune.

Without knowing more about the situation I'd be inclined to say that it's pretty poor from Canon in my opinion. I'd have hoped they'd have did the repair free or at a reduced rate. Your friend has nothing to lose if they try speaking to the retailer, they might be willing to offer osme assistance.

After typing the above I have a question though. How well used was the camera, for example what is the shutter count, eg 10K, 50K, more ? less ?

Its not my camera. Owned from new. <10000 actuations.

I've told him write to Canon, ask for a contribution. Its not going to build customer confidence. Here's a guy, recently taken up photography. Really enjoying it, going to upgrade. Probably will change brands now and will never recommend Canon to anyone who asks his opinion of them.

In the real world wont make a scrap of difference to Canon.

Legally, how would you challenge it???

As for cars, My car had a seatbelt fault a few months after the warranty period and I had to pay for an entire new unit

Thats months not days. Im sure if it a couple of days their response would be different.

So you expect three days bonus for no reason then. How about if it had gone on the fourth day?

Yep id expect a contribution on the fourth day as well.

The warranty is for 12 months and a line has to drawn somewhere.
This is why I have insurance that covers failures !!

sony charged us 117quid for shutter replacement on our a55, that included postage :) was out of warrenty. Think they charge upto 117 quid on bodies

£180 is a pretty standard charge. It's what I was charged to have the main board changed on a 400D. I had the shutter fail on a 40D, error 20, after 2 years but I had a warranty on that.

Back