What full frame Canon?

Name
carl
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking into the possibility of buying a full frame camera.
I currently use a Canon 40D so have been looking at the canon range so i can use some of my existing lens.
I like to take landscape, portrait & occasionally car action shots at the race track and had my eye on the 5D mk2, but is this the best camera for the job or would one of the other canon's suit me better?

Carl

if you can afford 5d2, then get one :D
I went from 40D to 5d2 :) and I love it...it really suits my needs :) I dont see myself going back to crop .... next body for me would be 1ds3 or 1ds4 :)

or if not 5d2 you can always try old 5d as it is still great camera

There's a couple of the original !Ds going on TP at the moment for around £750 ;)

Full frame is about image quality, and that is what you are paying for with the 5DII. But considering the cost, it's not the best action camera. It doesn't have the best AF system, nor the fastest frame rate, and you lose effective reach. You will not get the best from the sensor with the 75-300 lens either - not one of Canon's finest.

Of course the 5DII will do it, just not ideal and you would be forced into quite a lot of compromise and/or extra lens cost. IMHO crop format, like the new 7D, makes for a better all-rounder. Depends on your priorities.

Hmmm original 5D might be better as you aren't spending huge amounts on a new camera so you can get a couple of nice lenses to go with the it.

I would suggest some new glass first. Your 10-22 will not work on FF and the 75-300 will simply not do a 5D or 1Ds any justice.

As has been said.
The 50mm and the 85mm will be wonderful on the 5d.

The 10-22 won't work and the 75-300 might as well not work :p

If you're happy with the 50 and the 85 then go for it, but if you intend on using wide/telephoto zooms you'll be disappointed with the lack of a wide angle and a decent quality telephoto.

Some cheaper options are the 17-40L which can be had for around £400 and the 70-300 IS USM which can be picked up around £300.

Agree with the above. A MkI 5D might be worth a look, leaving some money left for something like 17-40 F4L or 24-70 F2.8L. 70-200 F4L (non-IS) might make a cost effective replacement for your 75-300.

Well, I've got Bastic's 40D and love it to bits. I've recently bought a mk1 5D and I am astonished at the difference between the two cameras, using the same lenses. I haven't tried my longer lenses yet on the 5D but the 17-40 and 50mm f/1.4 just come alive.

So now I think I could sell both and invest in a 5D MkII but for wildlife and macro I much prefer the 1.6 crop of the 40D, so I'll stick with it. I think I've got a really useful set-up.

Do it, try it, you'll be astonished too!

Strikes me that you're a classic candidate for a two camera body approach - assuming that the action and car stuff are of roughly equal importance to you. So maybe pick up a used 5D to go with the 40, build up your FF lenses, then upgrade bodies in a few years...

Best

Richard

If you do decide to go full frame, I would recommend you change/upgrade your lenses as follows:

EF-S 10-22 -> EF 17 40 f/4
EF 75 300 -> EF 70 300 IS USM

This will give you two lenses that will perform adequately on full frame. I'm using both of these on a 5D MarkI.

If you do decide to go full frame, I would recommend you change/upgrade your lenses as follows:

EF-S 10-22 -> EF 17 40 f/4
EF 75 300 -> EF 70 300 IS USM

This will give you two lenses that will perform adequately on full frame. I'm using both of these on a 5D MarkI.

I think that's good advice. Those are great lenses on full frame and not too much money. The workhorse 24-105L inbetween, lovely lens that it is, would be my choice for a brilliant outfit.

And despite what I said earlier about the 5DII not being the perfect action camera, it may well be good enough for the occasional use that the OP describes, plus being perfect for landscape and portraits. And, given the overall cost of swapping to full frame, which only makes sense if you get some nice lenses to go with it, then just keep the 40D body for now which is not a bad action camera cosidering it's only worth about £400.

I have just upgraded from the 40D to the 5D mkII. Done my first wedding with it on Friday and my first gig with it last night. Words cannot express how happy I am with it, it's simply sensational! I have been using it mostly with my 24-105L, and the 85mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.8, what I think I need to complete my set up is the 70-200 f2.8 IS, which I should have the funds for in the next few weeks!

Dave

Just went from 40D to 5Dmk2 myself. Almost got a 7D but but a last minute change of heart and evaluation of what I really wanted changed my mind.

As others have said, it is big step forward. IQ is tremendous. I've not hand any chance to get out and shoot since i got Tuesday due to various crisis and crap weather but made it to the local park for a half an hour at dusk tonight and shot a few off with the 24-105 both with flash and without. The high ISO is great, 1600 has a very grain like noise. 3200 is likewise very usable.

I've also picked up the 17-40 to replace the 10-22 i had with the 40D. Not had an opportunity to use it yet though. The 10-22 was excellent on crop, if the 17-40 gives me similar results with the 5D I'll be happy.

One of the original lures of the 7D was all the new features and customisations. In practice though the relative control commonality between the 5Dmk2 and 40D have meant that I could jump straight in.

No regrets at all from me.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I was aware of the 10-22 only being crop and new this would have to go with the camera when i sell. I indeed would replace it with either the 17-40 new or if i could get a good second hand 16-35.
I was going to buy the kit 5D which comes with the 24-105 L series so that will fill the walkaround gap just fine.
I agree with the 70-300 lens issue, in that its a cheap lens. I would indeed be replacing this in good time.
On reflection, my car shooting is more occasional. My main subject will mostly be landscape followed by portrait so perhaps the 5D will be my natural progression.
It has been suggested that I could look towards a Nikon camera which might cover all 3 better but I do like the way my Canon 40d works and the controls which I have become accustomed to hence my attraction to the 5D.
Anyway, lots of food for thought.

Carl

Back