What is a good upgrade lens from......

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
...... a Kit 18-55mm Canon?

I am currently using this and a 70-300mm Sigma (with my 350d) and the shots I am getting with the Sigma are in my opinion a hundred times better than the Canon kit lens. I am hoping to find something of the same reach to have as a general use lens and not spend a fortune on it.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

I did a fair bit of reading on the precise question over the weekend (I've got a 400D with the same kit lens and have been contemplating getting a better "walkabout" lens) and a few lenses seemed to be consistently mentioned.

The two I had mentally earmarked for when I have a few spare pennies are the Tamron 17-50 and the Sigma 17-70.

The Canon EF-S 17-85 was also spoken of in glowing terms, but costs rather more than the above two lenses.

16-35 L, or 24-70 L in my case I have both, but would pick the 24-70 if I could only have 1. Not cheap but definitely upgrades on the kit lens

Any idea how much you would be willing to spend? There are various lenses which are considered 'upgrades' from this lens.
I believe that the 17-55 IS for example, which is the kit lens from the newer cameras can be found second-hand quite cheaply.

Edit:
That should read 17-85 IS. Sorry

Low cost option - Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 - £250
High cost Option - Canon EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 IS - £650

The Canon will have better IQ wide open, and the IS may be helpful (but not critcial) towards the 55mm end. Both will comfortably out-perform your kit lens.

Well, the 50mm f/1.8 is good, and ~£60-80, I think, but this should be considered as aditional to what you have.
The canon 28-135 is at £215 new HK on fleabay. But that is really stretching your budget. I couldn't see any second hand. It depends whether you need the 17mm

no vote here for the 17-85 IS

yes vote for the 17-50 Tamron on a budget

for sharpness again yes for the 1.8 50mm.
however, a little gem IMHO that is cheap and cheerful is the Canon EF 28-105mm
some nice shots to get you started until photography starts leeching your money!
worth testing a few things out before you buy though

Back