What is so special about UDMA cards?

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Looking at Compact Flash memory - You guys have probably heard of the UDMA variety...

What is so special about these types of cards? Obviously, I know they cost more ;)

Thanks

I think it's because UDMA is a hard disk protocol that allows faster transfer rates to cameras (not many and pro spec only) and PC's.

Only really useful if you are a sports tog or bloody impatient with loads of cash :bonk::bonk:

Clicky here a quick review

Conclusion

Of the three DSLRs we tested standared high speed and UDMA cards with, the fastest shooter - the Canon EOS-40D - worked better with the slower card. This demonstrates that high speed performance is not always enhanced by the use of UDMA cards - if your camera doesn't state UDMA card support, it's almost certainly better to stick with 133x high speed cards, both to save money and to maintain optimal performance. The only exception is if you use large cards and don't want to wait for long periods when emptying them. Even so, you will need to invest in a UDMA card reader and, most likely, a Firewire expansion port. But if you shoot RAW and your camera does support UDMA, you probably will benefit from using UDMA cards.

Back