What is the BEST compact camera out there? Need one for Disneyworld

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Off to Disney next year and decided I need a really good compact camera to take... but what?

Currently I have a D700 as main camera with good quality glass (16-35 f4, 24-70 & 70-200 plus 50mm f1.4) as well as an XPro. While I will probably take the D700 for things like Seaworld, evenings and a few other things it is not a practical camera to take round everyday, especially with going on rides. While I like the XPro for some stuff, it does not excel at fast moving kids rides or have the best AF (wife struggles to use it)

So, I need a good quality compact - requirements are:

- Smaller than the XPro
- Excellent IQ (are there any DX sensors in compacts yet?)
- Good zoom range (ideally 24-120 FF equiv but can be flexible)
- Easy to use (for the wife/son, classic Point & Shoot)
- Ideally around £300 but no problem spending more if I need to (but realistically £500 would be getting near the max).
- As close to a DSLR as possible - especially things like startup, shutter lag etc...

I do like the look of the new X30 from Fuji and have also heard good things about a Panasonic (TZ40 or 60 or something)? Suggestions please...

RX100, nothing at that price point IMO is better, you wont get APSC in a zoom compact. Others all have smaller sensors.

I've got a Canon Powershot S95 which ticks pretty much all those boxes, and I think it's a Fab compact. The new s120 is a 24-120 equiv lens which is f/1.8 to f/5.6 I think. Shoots raw too.

Off to Disney next year and decided I need a really good compact camera to take... but what?

RX100, nothing at that price point IMO is better, you wont get APSC in a zoom compact. Others all have smaller sensors.

+1 for the RX100 series, have just picked up an RX100m2 a couple of weeks ago. Love it, can see why all the reviews rave about it.

Loving my RX100 too, great for when I don't want to drag the D800 around.

+3
Bought mine 2 weeks ago for holiday next week instead of taking my Olympus Om-D.
Very impressed, if you buy from Amazon now Sony have a special deal where you get £50 off

Very impressed, if you buy from Amazon now Sony have a special deal where you get £50 off

LCE are also doing the cashback offer at moment.
Be quick tho as was looking at my paperwork today, offer ends on Sunday I think!!

SLR Hut are doing them for £555 if you look at the banner at the top of here^^^^^^^^^
Know nothing about SLR Hut.

Interesting, thanks.

If I went with fuji it may be for the x30 rather than x20. Rx100 looks interesting, possibly the mk2, but put off by a few comments that the af is not too hot.

Have a read of this, it may be useful (particularly 'the wife's verdict'). I've got an rx100 so have no axe to grind against it.

From what I've read the EVF in the X30 is very good and gives full coverage (up from 85% in the X20 OVF).

Have a read of this, it may be useful (particularly 'the wife's verdict'). I've got an rx100 so have no axe to grind against it.

Useful, thanks. The evf on the x30 is not an issue as prefer this to the ovf on the xpro.

Another vote for the RX100, pretty much unbeatable in terms of picture quality and features in such a compact body. I'd go for the mk1 if budget is more limited or the mk3 if you have more to spend, there's not much to be gained from the mk2.

I had an X20 and really didn't get on with it, it's a capable camera for sure but I found myself fighting it rather than just shooting which is generally what I want from a compact.

Why not just use one of the entry level dslr's they are tiny these days buy a used one then sell it when you return for the same sort of money.

Or what about a Nikon V1 OR V2

Last edited:
Hi Simon. I own both the Fuji XF1 and the x20. Picked the x20 up on Friday night brand new from Curry's for £200. The x20's viewfinder is OK, but the x30's will undoubtedly be better. A normal view for a start and the high resolution of it will be a blessing. 100% coverage is also another added bonus as will not seeing the lens barrel. :LOL: The XF1 is very compact and is VERY cheap atm. IQ is good from both and they're pretty simple to use although I'm still learning my way around the x20.

I will probably get the x30 when it has dropped in price (hopefully!) after a few months.

I bought my wife the Canon Powershot S120, and I have to say that I have been pretty impressed.

Dave

you can use the Nikon V1 with all your Nikon lens when you get back

A V1 plus the Nikon 1 lens, 10 30mm and 30 110mm, used is a thought at around £300

get the FT-1 used for under £100 and as I said you can use the V1 with all your DSLR lens

Otherwise the Canon Powershots have always punched above their weight

You've mentioned the Fuji X30 - I was going to suggest that its fantastic camera and much improved over the X10 which I own.

Why not just use one of the entry level dslr's they are tiny these days buy a used one then sell it when you return for the same sort of money.

Or what about a Nikon V1 OR V2

Too big, I want something that is pocket size.

Canon G1X Mark II
I was going to suggest that, or a Mark I which you can probably pick up at a discount now it's been discontinued. They use a sensor almost as big as APS-C so should be capable of very high quality in the right hands :)

I was going to suggest that, or a Mark I which you can probably pick up at a discount now it's been discontinued. They use a sensor almost as big as APS-C so should be capable of very high quality in the right hands :)

Ok, so that's made it harder! Short list so far is

Fuji x20 - cheapish option, like fuji, good iq, 28-112 zoom and 2.8 max aperture, but not the smallest
Fuji x30 - as above but newer model
Sony rx100 - prob the mk2, 28-100 zoom but up to f4.9, smaller camera than fuji
Canon gx1 - biggest sensor, 24-120 is a good range, f3.9 max, but bigger than everything else

If only I could get one that is the Sony size, looks like the fuji, has the canon sensor and zoom but with the fuji max aperture

Ok, so that's made it harder! Short list so far is

Fuji x20 - cheapish option, like fuji, good iq, 28-112 zoom and 2.8 max aperture, but not the smallest
Fuji x30 - as above but newer model
Sony rx100 - prob the mk2, 28-100 zoom but up to f4.9, smaller camera than fuji
Canon gx1 - biggest sensor, 24-120 is a good range, f3.9 max, but bigger than everything else

If only I could get one that is the Sony size, looks like the fuji, has the canon sensor and zoom but with the fuji max aperture

I know it blows your budget somewhat but the Sony RX100 III has the faster lens (albeit shorter) and is about £550 for a grey import. Since you said £500 absolute tops, you'd have to use some man maths to justify it. Looks like a decent step up from the MK2 though.

I tried a G1X mk2 for a little while, really liked it but found it bit too bulky for what I wanted so ended up with RX100m2.

Nikon V1 with a 50mm would suite me! But if you think its to big i'd probably have to say one of Fuji's new line-ups like an x30

Katie xx

+1 for RX100 M2 which is what I have. Superb pictures and very controllable when you want it to be. Also very small with a large (for a compact) sensor. You can get deals on this model now. When I last looked, Dixons at Heathrow were selling it for £ 429 and online retailers are selling it for even less than that. I got mine in a deal at John Lewis with a 2 year warranty and it currently also has £50 cashback from Sony.

I'm looking for something similar to Simon too. I have a Canon GX1, but it's too big for a pocket or an evening-type handbag, has a lousy viewfinder and is hopeless at close focusing. On the plus side...the movable rear screen is very useful. I've spent ages looking at various review sites, to the point of giving myself fuzzy eyes and brain hurt, so having read all these suggestions, I'm off to delve back into specific reviews........RX-100 mk3, Fuji X30 and Canon 120. Will come back later to see if we come up with the same choice :)

Panasonic GM1
Very good and tiny stabilised kit lens, very fast focussing (especially compared to fuji which i used to have), very good sensor, bracketing, 24mm at the widest end, good touch screen. Body is the same size as the sony, and the collapsible lens is tiny (37mm filters).

Have a look at the Pentax MX-1. I've owned one for a few months. Nice retro looks, solid build quality, tilting screen for street/candid shots, RAW capability, exp comp dial (very useful), excellent image quality, etc. Can be picked up for around £200.

Eos-M + 22mm pancake, perfect.

I'm looking for something similar to Simon too. I have a Canon GX1, but it's too big for a pocket or an evening-type handbag, has a lousy viewfinder and is hopeless at close focusing. On the plus side...the movable rear screen is very useful. I've spent ages looking at various review sites, to the point of giving myself fuzzy eyes and brain hurt, so having read all these suggestions, I'm off to delve back into specific reviews........RX-100 mk3, Fuji X30 and Canon 120. Will come back later to see if we come up with the same choice :)

Interesting, that rules out the GX1 then as it does need to be smallish (hence not interested in anything with changeable lenses).

Back