What is the BEST compact camera out there? Need one for Disneyworld

Whilst the G1X isn't trouser pocketable, it fits in my coat pocket OK.

Macro isn't the G1X's forte - it has a much bigger sensor than most compacts with all the benefits that brings, but all the compromises as well.

Yes it has an optical viewfinder, but I use the rear screen. I like it as I can use my DSLR flash on it if needed.

Last edited:
Well, an update, popped into Currys today to have a play... more confused than ever now!

No X20 so could not have a go on that. Was not impressed with the RX100, seemed to be slower at taking pics than the others I tried. Panasonic DMC-LF1 seemed quite nice, as did the Panasonic TZ60 with a massive x20 zoom which may be useful. Olympus SH1 seemed ok too. Thought the Canon G16 was just about pocket sized and again seemed ok.

Didn't have long and as it was an unplanned trip had no spare memory card to take some pics and bring home.

So, what is the difference in sensor sizes... Some like the G16 are 1/1.7", others are 1/2.3"... what does all this mean in the real world and how does that compare with say the XPro sensor?

I had a play with the G16, was impressed with it. Is the Canon S120 of any interest? Definitely pocket sized.

No, have the S95 and just not a fan tbh. Only in store but the speed of the Pannys was impressive.

Why do you need the best compact for Disneyworld, surely any semi decent compact would be fine?

Why do you need the best compact for Disneyworld, surely any semi decent compact would be fine?

I am a fussy so and so, plus as I am used to a d700 with good glass I want something as close to it as possible in a small package. If I got an average camera I don't think I would be happy.

But when off a compact will be less deep, on the gm1 lens doesn't retract, plus as a minimum would want 24/28-100 zoom range.

Actually the lens does retract, just not into the body as in an rx100. Here's a size comparison with a g16, and remember that the sensor in the gm1 is over 5 times bigger!

http://camerasize.com/compact/#491.397,474,ha,f

I actually really like the range of the kit zoom - starting at 24mm is more important for me than going out long, as well as being a traditional quick zoom where you rotate the lens, rather than the typical switch you get in the rx100 type cameras. But if it doesn't meet your requirements then thats what matters.

Back