What monopod + head?

Name
Robbie
Edit My Images
No
I shoot sports event photos and really need a monopod

Any suggestions for something fairly light that will take:

30d + battery grip + 70-200mm lens (f4 now but maybe a heavy 2.8IS later)

Quick release would be a bonus and it needs to be able to do portrait shots.

Budget -£60 ish

Manfrotto 680B plus the monopod head with an RC2 release plate. Although with a 70-200 f4 you could handhold?

I use a 680B with a 484rc2 ball head.

Does the tripod bracket allow you to rotate the lens into portrait?

hand holding is fine until the light drops a bit...

Just want to be prepared for any eventuality!

Manfrotto 685b with a Manfrotto #234 head. It's the one with the grip release so very quick and easy to change hight. Had it for a couple of years and can't fault it. Excellent it is.

Just got a Manfrotto as above and have to say it improves my photography. I thought I was pretty good at handholding but this gives the edge and improves the way you work. Obviously it can't be used in all situations and it most of the time it slows you down a bit recomposing but it will be going with me regularly now.

wouldnt say you need one for a 70-200 PERSONALLY..

Much easier with one. And you'll have fewer images to dump because of shake if you do use one. Additionally, if you have to follow action through the lens for long periods, withot t a monopod your arms are killing you after a relatively short time.

Better with one thinks me.

Handholdings fine until you cover a big event, where a monopod really comes into its own. I use a Manfrotto 680B with b&s head. Makes a big difference.

679B + 234RC ordered :)

Just hope it arrives before I go on holiday!

Much easier with one. And you'll have fewer images to dump because of shake if you do use one. Additionally, if you have to follow action through the lens for long periods, withot t a monopod your arms are killing you after a relatively short time.

Better with one thinks me.

fair enough but the sigma i use is comparible with the canon 2.8 for weight and ive hand held that several times at all day events.

like i say thats personally though.

679B + 234RC ordered :)

Just hope it arrives before I go on holiday!

Saves me having to post in this thread recommending that combination. :nuts:

does anyone use / have any experience of the manfrotto 790B ?

Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but do you really need to use a head with a monopod, doesn't it just make it more complicated?

Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but do you really need to use a head with a monopod, doesn't it just make it more complicated?

Quick release

vertical shooting

cheers

MIP

I thought the same at first, and used mine without a head. But in fact, it's terrible using one without a head. There are many times (most times maybe) when you just can't get the right angle without one. This is because if you need to hold the monopod at an angle other than straight up, the camera has to go with it. So you loose control of where you are pointing the camera. Have a go and you'll see what I mean.

Back