What protection filter?

Name
carl shakespeare
Edit My Images
No
I need a filter on the front of my Nikon 70-200mm f2.8. I tried a Hoya UV green series but this had a noticeable effect on image quality.

What protection filter can anybody recommend that will have no effect on the image? I have thought about Nikons own, B&W or Hoya Pro series.

Dust, finger prints, water splashes, etc, I dont want to have to clean the lens itself.

I only use them now if I know I'm going to be in an environment where damage to the front element is a real and present danger. I got fed up with degraded image quality so now just take good care of them. Cleaning is nothing to be afraid of, you should see the abuse some pro's put their kit through so don't get unreasonably protective of it.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.
To be honest, I bought UVs for all of my lenses, but now I try and shoot without them (unless it is a hired lens, as it isn't mine). I have been wearing glases for 20+ years, they have never been scratched by a bit of dust.
Finger prints, well, yes I leave the UV filter on when the camera is in the bag, just in case someone else picks it up!
Someone else posted this up!
http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.10.30/front-element-scratches

If you are on the beach, then consider it, else I think don't worry too much.

After taking shots of gannets on a windy cliff, the lens had a film of salt on it from the spray, would rather clean a £50 filter than a £1000 lens. Best way to scratch a lens is to keep cleaning it. Surely a quality filter is up to the job?

Back