What Square filters

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got a bit of birthday money in the bank and I've been meaning to buy some filters for a while but as they're not something I've used before other than a UV or CP which have generally been the cheapest I could find I'm not sure where to start.

So, I reckon I want an ND or two, some ND grads and the holder thingies. What's more useful smooth grads or hard grads? What make do I go for?

I've heard of Lee, Hi-Tech, Cokin and Kood filter. Lee are out of my price range so which of the others do I choose from? Luckily I'll only need a 67mm adaptor as all of my lenses have the same filter thread.

And lastly, where's got good prices and good service to get them from?

Cheers,
Kev

Very happy with Kood.

I have both smooth and hard grads.
Mostly use the hard, but the shots I have used them on have had quite a distinct horizon.
Sometimes I have stacked hard and soft together.

I got them from 7 day shop. Prices were good.

I get great natural-looking skies with a polariser and a 1-stop hard grad. If you want drama, then you'll need to go darker than that. But a 2 stop can look like overkill on a normal blue sky with fluffy clouds.

I don't use a filter holder at all, just hold the filter up against the rim of the lens. Its usually OK, but at widest angles I do sometimes get a pink thing across the bottom of the frame, which needs to be cropped out. Not quite sure what it is.;)

As I use Singh-Ray, which are even more expensive than Lee, I can't advise you on makes!

Back