What would be the best Macro for portrait work on a crop sensor?

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I am really into portraits but i fancy trying my hand at macro photography and was thinking of buying a lens that could do both well. I have narrowed it down to Canon 60mm macro, Canon 100mm macro and Sigma 105mm macro. I have also looked at the Sigman 150mm macro but i feel this may be a bit long for my portrait use. Anyone used all three lenses care to give me opinions on which one is best for portraits first of all as this will be main use for now and is there any major advantages when it comes to macro? I think flowers will be my main macro shots as i can't be ar*ed chasing beasties about the woods.

I've got the Canon 100mm and it is, quite frankly, awesome! I've used it for macro, and very briefly, portrait (it's not something I've given a proper go, but when I do I'll be using this lens!). Unless you're outside or in a biiiiiiiiiig studio, it's great for headshots, or top half sort of thing, but not so good if you want to be doing full-body type shots.

I chose it over the Sigma 105mm as I liked that it focusses internally, and the USM is nice too!

Having said that, the 60mm f/2.8 gets some rave reviews. It's not a true macro lens, but that shouldn't really matter if you're not going after creepy crawlies! Bear in mind that you'll need to be a fair bit closer with the 60mm than with the 100mm as well for macro. Hope this helps a little!

Chris

Hi
On a cropped sensor, the Canon EFs 60mm Macro would equate to roughly 90mm - ideal for portraits.
I have recently bought a Tamron 90mm Macro after hearing and reading so much good reviews. One of the negative reviews I read mentioned that it was too sharp for portraits.
I am so pleased with it that I am now seriously thinking of selling my EFs 60mm Macro.
Want to make me an offer? :LOL:

The 60mm is 1:1 the 50mm is 1:2 i think.

Ah yes, sorry, ignore me! I was thinking of the Canon 50mm f/2.8 macro, that one isn't a true macro! Thanks for pointing that out!

But it reminded me of another thing, the 60mm is a EF-S, so if you're thinking of upgrading to full-frame, you might want to look for an EF lens. If not, then you've got more choice!

Chris

Cheers guys. I won't be going full frame any time soon so thats not an issue. This might seem like a daft question but the only prime lens i have used is a 50mm f1.8. Will the 60mm macro be much sharper than this or of similar quality?

Ah yes, sorry, ignore me! I was thinking of the Canon 50mm f/2.8 macro, that one isn't a true macro! Thanks for pointing that out!

But it reminded me of another thing, the 60mm is a EF-S, so if you're thinking of upgrading to full-frame, you might want to look for an EF lens. If not, then you've got more choice!

Chris

I've recently upgraded to FF hence the Tamron and as the Tamron will work on both my 5D Mk2 and 40D I now find my 60mm redundant

Back