When is a replacement for the D300 due?

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks
Was just looking at my years finances and i think i might start saving for a spring purchase! Just wondering when the price on a D300 might plummet!

Rumour has it that the D300s will be announced at the Nikon press conference at the end of this month.If it turns out to be true then expect them in the shops from October

How much it drops will depend on whether or not the replacement is actually any better.

If they just add video I doubt it will cause many to ditch the D300...

I agree availability around October. Prices on D300 will drop irrespective. They always do whether it's rational or not. In October we'll be picking up D300's for £650.

I agree availability around October. Prices on D300 will drop irrespective. They always do whether it's rational or not. In October we'll be picking up D300's for £650.

Really!?

But how will you back-up your back-up card?

Sorry but this does seem a bit OTT to be honest.

Jonathan

Really!?

But how will you back-up your back-up card?

Sorry but this does seem a bit OTT to be honest.

Jonathan

I guess you've never had it so you don't miss it. That's fine, no need to be sorry. Fact is it's a valuable feature if you find it a valuable feature, like me. I don't really care if it seems OTT to you or not. Takes all sorts.

I'm hoping to see a decent video feature, that way I won't have to find an F mount adapter for the RED ONE. :p

;)

I would prefrer dual CF slots like on the D3

It may transpire (as I suspect) that the 300s doesn't the facility to save pictures to both card slots at once, but rather that this feature is more about tempting D60/90 owners to upgrade without needing to buy new media, rather than any desire to help with creating a back up.

If the changes in the above posts is all the D300s will have, and other minor things, then it won't even touch the sides of my temptation for me to upgrade.

i really hope not, i need one in august and ill be gutted if im spending £100 extra!

lets hope theres a bit of a drop after the announcement. to be honest having had a quick look at the rumoured specs, video and dual cards dont really bother me at all.

i should imagine the only good thing about dual cards is if it was possible to save raws to cf and jpegs to sd.

I've had a search for D300s rumoured specs and the above is just about what it'll have. There's also apparently an "extra high" mode in D-lighting.

One or two other minor things but not worth spending £1300 on a camera that is only 1% better than a D300. That 1% may be worth more to those who want HD movie recording.

i really hope not, i need one in august and ill be gutted if im spending £100 extra!

lets hope theres a bit of a drop after the announcement. to be honest having had a quick look at the rumoured specs, video and dual cards dont really bother me at all.

i should imagine the only good thing about dual cards is if it was possible to save raws to cf and jpegs to sd.

Early adopters tend to be a bit frenzied and can usually afford some loss if they get the upgrade they want. If you have the cash ready no doubt someone will bite if they know in a month or so the new model will be along.

The changes are probably marginal for many. The CF/SD thing is actually pretty flexible and SD's are a tad cheaper. Handy if you're running a D90 or whatever as a second body, or if SDs take over as the standard downstream. Not quite so handy if a second body has just CF, but even then you just need buy a single SD to keep in there for when it's needed. Alongside backup and RAW/JPG it's good if you want to be minimising card changes, i.e. just switch from one to the second instantly while shooting. Sports or on safari, for instance. You could achieve similar by having just one very large card, rather than two smaller ones though.

I agree. Dual CF card is something I would really like on my D300. CF and SD.. nay thanks.

agreed as well, when I saw that as part of the rumoured specs it stuck me as a bit of fanboy wishfull thinking. Dual cards are valuable, no doubt, but only Cannon have gone down the dual CF/SD route. Nikon seem to have stuuck with dual CF and I don't see a reason why, if they introduce dual slots, they'll change from that. The slower write speeds on SD cards are reason enough to avoid them on top spec kit IMO

Hugh

i can see this closing the price gap between the d90 and d300 - If it does, it will make people like me get a d300 instead of a d90 (im buying in late sept/early oct) - In a way, they are shooting themselves in the foot with d90 sales.

I have had a d90 since launch, having upgraded from a d40. Part of me now wishes I had got a d300 as although the d90 is a good camera, I do prefer bigger bodies and the more 'ruggedness' of the 300.

Tempted to upgrade though, a d700 is way beyond me, not bothered at all with video or moveable screen though. If the d300 price comes down I guess the 90 will take a hit as well.

I have had a d90 since launch, having upgraded from a d40. Part of me now wishes I had got a d300 as although the d90 is a good camera, I do prefer bigger bodies and the more 'ruggedness' of the 300.

Tempted to upgrade though, a d700 is way beyond me, not bothered at all with video or moveable screen though. If the d300 price comes down I guess the 90 will take a hit as well.

Hope so :naughty:

Back