which 24-70 for my d800

I didn't need to - the constant trips to newcastle with them to be exchanged told them all they needed to know. In return they had pictures from me for marketing material. I used to do a regular column in a photographic magazine at the time...I can't even remember what it was called, but that wasn't one of Willy's. It was published from an office in Brighton. It paid the mortgage even if it was a rubbish title by EMAP standards. I didn't promote the lenses, I just supplied images using them and got the gear in return. The 80s were a far cry from today's market with the budgets that were available, publishing was awash with money - IPC womens titles group employed a lady whose sole job was to order and distribute the flowers for the office! She did nothing else.

Tamron glass is pretty good, it is the build quality of the carriers and engineering aspects that let them down. The old 90mm macro was always seen as one of the lenses to beat - and that one was pretty well built, it was often used as a portrait lens. The zoom lenses always came apart at the seams.
Surely not the 24-135mm and the 28-105mm f/2.8 MKII, those 2 are as well made as anything Nikon have ever made.

The zooms I had Gary were the fixed aperture ones. 80-200 f2.8. This was back in the days of removable mounts don't forget - I think they have fixed mounts now as well.

Lens arrived, so far so good, its nice and sharp even at 2.8, everything seems smooth as it should be, vc works well, i done quick test taking pics of my bro, hand held 1/20th f4 with vc on and off and what a difference it made, at first with it off it looked ok til i zoomed and clearly see hand shake, but with it on could see fine details in the hair.
I suppose i will never tell build quality so soon so i will have to report back in a few weeks/months even years to see if its still holding up.

again thanks all for the advice, arguments and general knowledge

Ali

Lens arrived, so far so good, its nice and sharp even at 2.8, everything seems smooth as it should be, vc works well, i done quick test taking pics of my bro, hand held 1/20th f4 with vc on and off and what a difference it made, at first with it off it looked ok til i zoomed and clearly see hand shake, but with it on could see fine details in the hair.
I suppose i will never tell build quality so soon so i will have to report back in a few weeks/months even years to see if its still holding up.

again thanks all for the advice, arguments and general knowledge

Ali
Personally I think tamron has the best image stabilisation between sigma Nikon and tamron. Not ever used canon system. The tamron 70-300 I could shoot with 1/15 and result in usable photos. Where the sigma and Nikon are very similar probably best is around 1/30. But mostly at 1/40.

It is very impressive.

Back