Which 85mm

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have been looking at a portrait lens for my 50D and like the look and focal lenth of a Canon 85mm, is the 85mm f1.2 L II USM worth the extra money from a EF 85mm f1.8 USM. I know the L series will be better build and optics but is it £1300 better?

Thanks

The 85mm 1.2L is a jaw dropping lens in every way, including appearance and performance. Whether it's worth the current price being asked - only you can decide. It's big, heavy, and slow focusing, but the results can be stunning. The 1.8 version is probably 95% as good, lighter and much faster focusing. Not much help I suppose, and you've really got to want one at current prices!

Thanks for that,

The cheapest I have found the 1.2 is £1300 which is alot of money for 5% better. Think I might get 1.8 for now and upgrade if I find I get a lot of use out of it.

Unless you want to sell me yours cheap...............lol:nuts:

Worth a try.

LOL.Not selling -soz! :D

Hopefully the price will drop again, I'll keep an eye on it.

cheers

The 1.8 version is... much faster focusing

Any reason why? I have always (incorrectly) assumed the wider the aperture, the faster the focusing.

Any reason why? I have always (incorrectly) assumed the wider the aperture, the faster the focusing.
Basically it's just huge lumps of heavy glass really making that AF motor work overtime. You need to pick one up to appreciate just how heavy it is, and most of that weight is glass.

I managed to get a good deal last year buying a 50mm 1.2 and an 85mm 1.2 both lenses 'as new' only having been used a few times. I paid £1000 for the pair. Bargains do come along every now and again...

That looks like a one of bargin, I'll keep looking then.

cheers

I’m struggling to decide between these two lenses at the moment so watching this thread with great interest.

I’ve borrowed the 1.2 from a pal and for portraits and candids in low light it’s an absolute gem. Bokeh is out of this world creamy dreamy smooth gorgeous :love:

As CT says it is a huge lump of glass and if memory serves weighs about a kilo although on the occasions I’ve used it my wrists say more like a tonne! :eek: A peculiar looking thing too, but quite unobtrusive as far as Joe Public is concerned given that it’s neither long nor white! Great for "street".

The weight is one of the reasons I’d like to try the 1.8 before choosing. The other is speed of focus which would be useful for sport. Bet I end up buying both and making my poor dear bank manager wet his Y-fronts - again :LOL:

Bet I end up buying both and making my poor dear bank manager wet his Y-fronts - again :LOL:

Thats the attitude:LOL: I know where you are coming from.

The weight doesn't bother me to much as I will mainly use it on a tri-pod + I doubt it weighs as much as my 70-200 which I use as a walk about sometimes.

Interesting thread this one - anyone else notice in the Rob Galbraith review of the 7D that the EF 85mm f/1.2L II autofocus was "all over the place" - he concluded that it was the lens.

If this behaviour is likely on a sample basis, it might swing the choice towards the f1.8 esp. at the current price of the f1.2.

Anyone else heard of this behaviour, on this lens , generally?

Mike

I can't comment on the L but the 1.8 is a very, very good lens. I'd definitely start with that and upgrade to the 1.2 if you find a need for an even shallower DoF.

Yer thats the way I might go, and watch the 1.2 price in the mean time.

I can't comment on the L but the 1.8 is a very, very good lens. I'd definitely start with that and upgrade to the 1.2 if you find a need for an even shallower DoF.

The f/1.8 is very very good. Arguably a much better choice than the f/1.2 for some purposes. But if you're looking for the best portrait lens that Canon makes then it's the f/1.2

It's hard to describe in logical terms, and as for cost, the difference is pretty ludicrous (given how good the f/1.8 actually is). But there's something about the f/1.2 that's just special.

Thanks,

just been playing with another lens at about 85mm to see how much room I would have and it looks ok.

I think I might try for a second hand 1.8 if I can find one, if not go for a new one to start with, then if I really get on with it and the price of the 1.2 settles down I'll upgrade.

The same arguement arises on the yellow label versions, 1.4 and 1.8 - the price difference is double.

If you really want to find out, HIRE them both before committing. Not at the same time, one at a time. Try them for a week each - you will spend a bit on the hire fee, but you will then make the right decision for you and your photography.

The weight thing - a heavy lens is more stable hand held in open air, especially if there is any wind. It also soaks up more vibration (heavier object requires more "getting going" - remember your physics lessons?

As far as performance is concerned, I bet you couldn't tell the difference unless the pictures were laid alongside each other. Put one picture down and you would like it. Put the other picture down a week later, and you would still like it.

Just ordered the f1.8, see how it goes and how much use to see if I can justify the f1.2.:)

Back