Which Canon RF lenses are significant upgrades to EF?

It would be interesting to see how far down you can push the exposure times working with real live people

I'm hesitant going below 1/250s unless using flashes or if challenged with low light levels. In any case never below 1/100s. I will try to challenge it more as a test; I only have R6 which is more forgiving for very slight shake or subject motion blur. On 5Ds it obviously wants > 1/250s or flash.
It would be interesting to see how far down you can push the exposure times working with real live people

I'm hesitant going below 1/250s unless using flashes or if challenged with low light levels. In any case never below 1/100s. I will try to challenge it more as a test; I only have R6 which is more forgiving for very slight shake or subject motion blur. On 5Ds it obviously wants > 1/250s or flash.

Looking at my test shots on R5, I have sharp results of static subjects at 0.3s shutter, I haven't tried slower so far. If my sums are current, that is about 6 stops. The advertising says "up to 8 stops" so I'll try even slower to see how that works. For people speaking, so now the limiting factor is how much they are moving, I went as slow as 1/125 and got lots of tack-sharp results.

Last edited:
It looks like I can get down to 1/40-1/30s with the Sigma 135 on R6 shooting static objects around the house when using EVF (3 points of contact). and with just LCD and only 2 points of contact this becomes somewhat less reliable but still produces keepers. So I don't see any problems at 1/100s which is where you'd normally use it. IBIS is quite spectacular for stabilising handheld images; even 400/5.6 becomes usable at 1/100-200s whereas old body needs 1/1000s +. In fact, non-IS designs are by definition more reliable, less complex and hence potentially sharper. Sony seems to be following this philosophy with many of its new releases. For video maybe you want all you can get... IBIS + DJI RS2 Pro is already a mega combination... I don't know how that impacts these long ones

to clarify 1/30 was the slowest I tried. It just feels wrong to go down for some reason

Last edited:
It looks like I can get down to 1/40-1/30s with the Sigma 135 on R6 shooting static objects around the house when using EVF (3 points of contact). and with just LCD and only 2 points of contact this becomes somewhat less reliable but still produces keepers. So I don't see any problems at 1/100s which is where you'd normally use it. IBIS is quite spectacular for stabilising handheld images; even 400/5.6 becomes usable at 1/100-200s whereas old body needs 1/1000s +. In fact, non-IS designs are by definition more reliable, less complex and hence potentially sharper. Sony seems to be following this philosophy with many of its new releases. For video maybe you want all you can get... IBIS + DJI RS2 Pro is already a mega combination... I don't know how that impacts these long ones

to clarify 1/30 was the slowest I tried. It just feels wrong to go down for some reason

I know what you mean. I've continued the testing and, incredibly, I'm getting sharp results for 1s handheld or approx 7 stops, close to the "up to 8" quoted. Amazing.

Last edited:
Turning to the 85, I've got hold of an RF 85 1.2 to compare with the EF 85 1.4 IS.

It turns out that the benefit of the EF's IS is quite limited due to the R5 not using all 5 axis of IBIS with EF IS lenses. With RF I'm getting about 5 stops and EF about 6 stops. I wasn't expecting that. @LongLensPhotography it makes sigma EF options attractive.

Another critical feature for me is the AF tracking accuracy and speed. The EF 85 1.4 has hardly ever let me down on the R5. From my first tests today with the RF, it's difficult to see a difference.

Turning to the 85, I've got hold of an RF 85 1.2 to compare with the EF 85 1.4 IS.

It turns out that the benefit of the EF's IS is quite limited due to the R5 not using all 5 axis of IBIS with EF IS lenses. With RF I'm getting about 5 stops and EF about 6 stops. I wasn't expecting that. @LongLensPhotography it makes sigma EF options attractive.

Another critical feature for me is the AF tracking accuracy and speed. The EF 85 1.4 has hardly ever let me down on the R5. From my first tests today with the RF, it's difficult to see a difference.
If EF 1.4L version works well enough just keep that. All of them should be more than stable enough at normal working speeds.
https://www.the-digital-picture.com...meraComp=979&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=3 This makes it look like Sigma is a step ahead, and it may be; but it is not quite up to the 135mm ART, at least not right away. You get parity maybe at f/3.5-4. where everything including corners is bitingly sharp. Contrast is very good from f/2; I find it a little low in contrast wide open. For the money it is hard to argue with Sigma; however if you want the best performance wide open I suspect RF 85 /1.2 non-DS is the obvious choice here. I am sure you could tell us something about that now.

And it looks like we might get a little surprise from Viltrox at some point in the near future... but probably not for RF https://petapixel.com/2024/02/16/viltrox-to-launch-four-new-lenses-including-first-lab-prime-report/

If EF 1.4L version works well enough just keep that. All of them should be more than stable enough at normal working speeds.
https://www.the-digital-picture.com...meraComp=979&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=3 This makes it look like Sigma is a step ahead, and it may be; but it is not quite up to the 135mm ART, at least not right away. You get parity maybe at f/3.5-4. where everything including corners is bitingly sharp. Contrast is very good from f/2; I find it a little low in contrast wide open. For the money it is hard to argue with Sigma; however if you want the best performance wide open I suspect RF 85 /1.2 non-DS is the obvious choice here. I am sure you could tell us something about that now.

And it looks like we might get a little surprise from Viltrox at some point in the near future... but probably not for RF https://petapixel.com/2024/02/16/viltrox-to-launch-four-new-lenses-including-first-lab-prime-report/
The RF 85 1.2 is better than the EF 85 1.4 which is already great. I'll test at the next event.

Interesting about the in body stabilisation working well with non is lenses
I do mainly macro and close ups, insects from spring onwards
I’ve been using the EF 100 L since it came out but also have the Sigma non OS 100 and 150 mm macro lenses both are good lenses but I found the Canon IS lens easier to use as I mainly shoot hand held natural light (no flash )
I have been using the R5 focus stacking feature a lot , for macro as it allows me to shoot with wide aperture and still achieve some depth of field
The Sigma lenses are not listed as compatible with the Canon focus stacking feature and I did try the 150 macro when I first got the R5 and it wasn’t that successful but will try it out again
It’s good to know that some of the non IS lenses work well on the R5 , thanks for the heads up will try out my Sigma 150 again

Last edited:
RF 28-70 F2 vs RF 85 1.2 & RF 135 1.8 shootout is now planned for Sunday morning with a colleague who has the 28-70. She is curious to see the differences too. Should be fun.

RF 28-70 F2 vs RF 85 1.2 & RF 135 1.8 shootout is now planned for Sunday morning with a colleague who has the 28-70. She is curious to see the differences too. Should be fun.

How is it comparable when they are all different focal lengths and don't replace one or another?

What are you looking for in this "shootout" ?

How is it comparable when they are all different focal lengths and don't replace one or another?

What are you looking for in this "shootout" ?
Sorry, I didn't make the purpose clear - she is looking to see if she should add one or other of the primes, I'm looking to try the zoom more to see if replacing my shorter primes with it would be a good idea.

The results are here lens battle galley with albums for the full size images and for 100% crops. We had the following lenses to test:
  • Canon EF 24mm f-1.4L II USM
  • Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM
  • Canon EF 35mm f-1.4L II USM
  • Canon RF 50mm F1.2 L USM
  • Sigma EF 50mm 1.4 Art
  • Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM
  • Canon EF 85mm f-1.4L IS USM
  • Canon RF 135mm F1.8 L IS USM
  • Canon EF 135mm f-2L USM
  • Canon EF 200mm f-2L IS USM
Plus Fujifilm Fujinon GF110mm F2 R LM WR, approx 80mm equivalent.

Conclusions from my side so far:
- all the lenses produce amazing results
- while my colleague prefers the convenience of the 28-70 Zoom, although she does not like its weight, this test has confirmed my decision to stick with primes
- I prefer the Sigma EF 50mm 1.4 to the Canon RF 50 1.2, I wasn't expecting that
- the Canon RF 85mm 1.2 is a big enough improvement on the EF 85mm 1.4 that I'll trade in, I can get the RF 85 pre-owned at a big discount
- overall I still love the Fuji, but it won't replace the Canon system.

Hope this helps someone wondering about the different lenses.

Last edited:
- I prefer the Sigma EF 50mm 1.4 to the Canon RF 50 1.2, I wasn't expecting that
o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Thanks for that. My wallet will be happy.

You should see quite a jump in quality with 40mm ART though. It's not a 50mm but the closest thing available. 28mm is the next one down I can really really recommend.

also I take it that 50 ART does the same thing and more to the 28-70mm

Last edited:
o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Thanks for that. My wallet will be happy.

You should see quite a jump in quality with 40mm ART though. It's not a 50mm but the closest thing available. 28mm is the next one down I can really really recommend.

also I take it that 50 ART does the same thing and more to the 28-70mm
:)don't tempt me.

Apart from my trials and tribulations with flash, My new 24-70 2.8 arrived yesterday.

Testing on the usual test subject yeilds something i am really happy with. R5 slightly missed the eye (or do i dare say its front focusing) and got the nose but the colour rendition was fantastic and the sharpness a big step up from what my 24-105 F4 mk1 (bought from digitalrev - remember them? - in 2006).

Happy to provide 100% crops or full RAWs via google drive if anyone wants to see (just ignore that I missed the focus very slightly...). I am guessing that the forum might compress these so I'll flickr them instead

5G4A5355 by Andrew_S84, on Flickr

5G4A5357 by Andrew_S84, on Flickr

Back