Which DSLR for quietest shutter?

i couldnt answer that for of which dslr has the quietest shutter, but on my 6d i have a "quiet" mode, makes it a <lot> quieter than normal but limits my burst mode.

sigma dp is very quiet
but its not a dslr

a7s has a proper silent shutter mode, no noise at all

Simple really, as the title says, what are the DSLRs with the quietest shutter?
Is it more important that the shutter is quiet/silent or that it's a DSLR?

Oh and with the 3rd party software magic lantern (for canon cameras), you can take complete silent low resolution screen grabs from the liveview mode.

There are a few CSC with leaf shutter, very quiet.

The noise you hear isnt so much the shutter though is it? If you have a DSLR and take photos using the mirror up function, the noise the actual shutter makes is barely audible, Its the mirror slap that makes the noise.

So the answer is, get yourself a mirrorless camera ;) (y)

it can be both, my a77 has a loud shutter, and theres no mirror flapping about :p
i think the x100s might be quiet too?

The noise you hear isnt so much the shutter though is it? If you have a DSLR and take photos using the mirror up function, the noise the actual shutter makes is barely audible, Its the mirror slap that makes the noise.

So the answer is, get yourself a mirrorless camera ;) (y)

The A7R is a mirrorless camera and by all accounts incredibly noisy

Hasn't the D810 reportedly a quiet 'normal' shutter?
Mind you, give it a few months before it comes out of beta :rolleyes:

Is it more important that the shutter is quiet/silent or that it's a DSLR?
DSLR is most important to me along with the usual criteria when choosing a camera. However how noisy (or not) the shutter is isn't usually mentioned and recently while shooting at a formal event the noise of my shutter seemed a bit intrusive. IF I change or update a camera I thought I would look at those with the quietest shutter to see if any met my other (and more important) criteria.
I was hoping someone would come on and tell me their Nikon D4s was nearly silent!

x100S leaf shutter is virtually silent ( but not really a DSLR )
pentax K-7 has dampening and is reported to be the quietest.
though with live view and mirror lock up on camers that makes any that support that feature pretty quiet too

I Was impressed by how quiet the Nikon Df is.

5DIII is very quiet

sigma dp is very quiet
>>>but its not a dslr<<<

a7s has a proper silent shutter mode, no noise at all

That's why it's quiet!

6d is one of the quietest I've used on normal mode, silent shutter mode during a recent wedding was VERY effective. TBH the reduced FPS on silent mode normally wouldn't matter.

Last edited:
Aren't the Sony SLT's silent?

IME quitem modes aren't quieter at all from a real SPL point of view, they just delay the return so the sound is less attention grabbing.

the leaf shutter is what makes the dp very quite and unintrusive

the slt and nex have noise from the shutter. A7s can take a video frame of 12mp in silent shutter I think, you can rolling shutter effect if things move

The Panasonic micro 4/3 cameras (GH3 or GH4 are closest to what you're used to) have a completely silent electronic shutter mode. They're not technically DSLRs but the distinction is most likely irrelevant.

The Panasonic micro 4/3 cameras (GH3 or GH4 are closest to what you're used to) have a completely silent electronic shutter mode. They're not technically DSLRs but the distinction is most likely irrelevant.
+1, and my panasonic GX7 also has a silent mode where it prevents the flash actuating, the camera making any beeps etc, and uses a silent electronic shutter. All this in a very discreet camera and relatively small camera, particularly if you use say the 20mm prime lens, so you can take photos in quiet situations.

Not any of the Nikons I've owned anyway :D

Silent church ... *CLATTER* - you get used to everyone staring you down for it :D

Reactions: BBR
As previously mentioned by other posters, mirrorless cameras are theoretically always quieter than DSLRs, because the mirror is usually the cause for most of the noise (so Sony's SLT cameras are included in the 'mirrorless' category for this one, even though they have a mirror - it just never moves, because it's translucent).
Panasonic cameras have an electronic shutter function, and so does the Sony a7S, and probably some Fuji cameras. The shutter doesn't open and close at all - it's all done electronically. It is susceptible to the "jello effect" (rolling shutter) in this mode, though.
My Olympus OM-D E-M5 has a very soft clicking sound to the shutter. It isn't noisy at all - it's not silent, but probably a lot quieter than any DSLR.

Don't rule out mirrorless system cameras, unless you need very reliable tracking autofocus.

NOT the D90.

I find Canons appear to be far quieter in general but I'm impressed by my mates D810 in more ways than one !

You mention formal occasions..........
If you do not want to be noticed, It is not only the shutter and mirror that is noisy, but equally annoying in such circumstances, can be the flash and large flashy cameras poked in peoples faces by inconsiderate photographers. For many years Leica rangefinders have been king in such situations, But today CSC cameras like those produced by Fuji and others fill that role equally well. I hate seeing large DSLR cameras on formal occasions, They bring nothing extra to the party except their brashness.

Like children, photographers should be neither seen nor heard.

Back