Which DSLR to buy?

Name
Kay
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I am looking to buy a DSLR....

I want it to take pictures mostly of my 8 month old baby and other people.

Looking into making a studio in my office, once I get enough money together! So need something I can add light equipment etc. too.

I currently have a Sony DSC-H9 which I personally find a pleasure to use, not sure if the Sony DSLR's have a similar feel and menu structure?

Budget is about £400?

Go to Jessops and try a few out. Has been said many times before that they will all take good pictures, you need to get what feels comfy in your hands and what feels right for you.

This might be useful: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1000d/page23.asp

...and this for checking prices (although do check yourself as there are sometimes better, more recent deals) http://www.camerapricebuster.com/cat4.html

I guess, looking to the longer term there might be something to say for going with one of the bigger systems (Nikon or Canon) as you'll get more and more invested and switching to another company/ system later can be expensive.

But I'd agree with holding the different cameras and seeing which feels best to use.

Getting a camera with a kit lens will be the cheapest route to getting someting usable. A faster single focal length lens, such as a 35/1.8, would be nice for grabbing shots of a quickly moving child in less than perfect lighting but you'd probably find this limiting for your other photography -- although many of us started out this way with no zoom lens, so... :)

Dave- Thanks for giving me the link back to that thread, I couldn't find it!

You can always find your own posts by clicking on your username and then looking under the Statistics tab.

Another option is to turn on subscriptions to threads you post in under the user control panel (UserCP tab at top of page)/Edit options.

I went to Jessops yesterday, I was with a friend and didn't spend as long as I would have liked looking at them so will go again by myself but from what I saw my fav was Nikon d5000 (18-55 mm VR Lens Kit) 2nd fav was Canon EOS 500D (18-55 mm IS Lens Kit)

Don't forget to have best current prices to hand for either of these, when you go back (camera price buster is a good start), if you intend to buy there and then - Jessops may price match to a cheaper deal (y)

Good luck in your search

Back