Which flashes offer E-ttl wireless

Name
Brad 'Electron-Don' Foster
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, im pretty new to all this flash stuff, i have a Metz 44-AF-4C which is a great on camera flash, but i cont figure out (pretty sure it can't be) how to make it fire off the camera, i thought that one of the little sensors behind the red bit at the front was a sync flash thingy that would detect my onboard flash and fire the Metz as a slave, but it wont.

So anyway, i am now looking at getting a new flash, seeing as i have to buy a new one, i would really like it to work ettl wireless with my 600d, (is that right?)

My question is, is it only canon flashes that work like this with the 600d, or is there other, aftermarket, cheaper flashes that will offer the same versatility. Such as the Youngnou or some other Metz, or do i jsut have to drop the bomb on a £200 430exii.

if i have gotten all this completely wrong then i apologise

Thanks for the help, Brad.

The 600d can control other flashes optically. So any of the other flashes with ETTL would work ie: Yongnuo 568ex II (or the first version the MkII offers HSS)
Godox V860C lithium Ion and ETTL. Nissin Di866. This is just a few of many.
You could always buy a set of triggers for total control and better range

Hi, I've just done some googling and sorry to say, dump Metz!

The 600D will control a slave flash via the pop up, but I don't believe the 44_AF_4C will will work as a slave. Some reviews question it's performance in ETTL as well.

The 430II will serve you well, they do pop up in the classifieds occasionally ;)

Keep looking :)

Any Metz from the Metz 48 AF-1 upwards to the Metz 64 AF-1 will work as slave ETTL flashes, except the Metz 54 AF-1. The Metz 44 has an Infra Red receiver, so needs an IR transmitter to work as a slave

http://technoclopedia-canon-eos.com/index.htm?/frames/flashes_metz.htm

Also the Nissin Di 622, Di 866, probably needs to be the Mark II to work with a 600D, Yongnuo YN 568, various clones of the Canon 580 EX (Meike?). The cheapest option is to buy a pair of Yongnuo YN 622C wireless triggers (about £50) and use them with the Metz 44.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, the Metz is ok, for general e-TTL stuff in my experience, but thats pretty limited experience. I have had it for about 7 years and paid something around £40 for it off ebay, so no great loss, i will still use it as a backup mounted flash, or a handheld manual for long exposure antics.

I went with the clone of the 580ex, the Yongnuo 565ex ii, next day delivery from ebay, £72.80 has to be worth a go. After watching a few videos on YT about it, one in particular was with a 600d, i was dead impressed with it, sure its not a canon, but its also very, very cheap. and being a clone, most accessories fit it too, an added bonus.

quick question, could i slave the Yong with the Metz, or does the on-board flash have to be used, i bet it does.

so does the wireless really work as a wireless, does it have a transmitter built in on the 600d, and a receiver on the Yong?, or does it work on some weird flash fire strength repetition system

Thanks guys, alot of help :D

you could get a optical flash slave thing off ebay, which should in theory be a dumb slave and make the flash its attached to flash, but manual mode only

another question, is there such a thing as a receiver that will make the Metz fire in say manual mode, as a fill, while the YN with full ettl as the main flash. does that make sense.
so like a little thing that attaches to the botton of my metz, that will take a signal from the 600d, wireless for flash?

Thanks

One solution would be a Yongnuo YN 622C TX on the camera and a flash mounted on top of the TX, YN 622C transceiver under the Metz. This allows the Metz to be fired in either TTL or Manual mode. The on camera flash will send a pre-flash, so an optical cell attached to the Metz would fire it too soon.

Thanks Harvey, for the money though im prob better off just getting another YN-565exii

If you've not placed your order already, I notice the 568 exii has dropped quite a bit in price recently. Plenty of sellers on ebay shifting them for around £80.

Back