Which GoPro?

Edit My Images
No
We do a lot of travelling, mainly wildlife and big landscapes, and I'm thinking of adding a GoPro to my kit to wear and catch records of hikes. Can anyone suggest which of the current GoPros would be best?

The gopro4 silver best option with built in screen on back for easier viewing of subject! Saves battery life instead of wifi connecting it up to phone to look what the cameras looking at!

the new cheapo one isn't that great, so silver I guess. There's other decent ones about too

Thanks, both, for the advice. There's so many models with such varied specs...

techmoan does good reviews
the new cheap one you can't remove the case, so break the tripod mount and.... :-( and it got beat by a sj4000 clone.

The gopro comes with water proof housing, not many others do which would be extra on top! Plus there's so many accessories on eBay cheap it's easy enough to get!

A second vote for the GoPro Hero 4 Silver.

Unless you are looking for 4k video at 30fps as a mandatory requirement, the Silver - as was said above - gives you the blend of video quality and ease of use due to the LCD.

The Hero is a complete steal though at £94 (Currys and Jessops) and whilst I'd be less worried about the breakable and unremovable nature of the camera from the case (Paul's comment) given that you will *only* be hiking it has to be worth consideration if you can live with the limitations of a lack of wifi/go pro app, and effectively sealed unit (battery and casing).

I'll be picking one up as a 2nd (or indeed 3rd) POV for some of the things I'll be using mine for.

I have a GoPro4 silver and a genuine SJ4000 with wifi. Both really good. If you go for an SJ4000, try not to get the clones, some of them are real rubbish the genuine ones are from SJCam and rated really highly by Techmoan.
The only real criticisms I have of the SJ4000 is that the buttons are hard to press once its in its case and the mounts move about unless you take the shine off the mating surfaces with a bit of emery paper.
Allan

Hi

i wouldn't bother with the base hero version, just cannot see the point of something that has no way of viewing what you are about to record or reviewing what you have recorded.

At least with the others you have an option of connecting it to you phone or pad via wifi for control and viewing, the base hero has nothing. I have one sat in the draw that someone gave me, other than using it as a fancy but very limited dashboard cam I just cannot see it being used.

Paul

Hi

i wouldn't bother with the base hero version, just cannot see the point of something that has no way of viewing what you are about to record or reviewing what you have recorded.

At least with the others you have an option of connecting it to you phone or pad via wifi for control and viewing, the base hero has nothing. I have one sat in the draw that someone gave me, other than using it as a fancy but very limited dashboard cam I just cannot see it being used.

Paul

If you have no use for it then feel free to send it my way. I'll line it up with my eye and get some use out of it. As I said I'm planning to use for 2nd/3rd viewpoints and cut-aways on a wide angle view - wouldn't be using it as my main camera where I'll care much more about framing.

Hi

Paul

Give it to me then ;). When I stick on my helmet I have no method of reviewing anyway.

The base version looks like a good way in to get an idea of what is possible. I think I might take that route rather than spend big money straight off. Is it the kind of thing that comes up second hand to take any pain out of it being a mistake?

Buy the older hero 3+ version! People will be moving them on for the newer releases so should come up cheaper!

nah the base model is a false economy, you cant change the case, and it gets beat on IQ
and the sony action cams might be cheaper and better too

Buying a basic model then upgrading if you like it might not work. Getting the cheaper option might put you off what is possible with these cameras, and if you upgrade to a better model, you need to factor in the depreciation of the model you are selling.
I went for the best model I could afford, at that time it was a Hero 3 + black. I also bought an LCD screen for it. I loved it, it did exactly as I wanted ( fitted to a quadcopter) but wished it had an LCD screen built in to reduce the bulk.
Then along came the Hero 4 with an integrated LCD screen. (ok, its smaller than the Bakpac version but its all I need)
When I upgraded, I bought a Hero 4 Silver. I didn't need the extras that the black version would give me.
Think seriously what you want to use a Gopro for and get the one that does what you want it to.
Allan

Thanks for all the advice. I've gone for the GoPro Hero4 Silver from Digital Depot at £249.99 delivered.

Thanks for all the advice. I've gone for the GoPro Hero4 Silver from Digital Depot at £249.99 delivered.

Don't think you'll be disappointed with that - a good price. Let us know how you get on with receiving it, and use. A Hero 4 Silver is on my shopping list as well to complement what I already have.

Forget all the fuff about the sj4000 being better than the hero.. It isn't. I bought the hero for £99 the week it came out and have used it ever since it's superb and yes I did consider the sj4000 but in every aspect the hero basic it's better than the sj4000 and better than the hero3/white edition. Hero 4 silver is the best one to have if you can warrant the price (today I checked curry's and it's £279) better than black edition as it has a screen over the black but the black does 30fps 4k instead of 15fps 4k. For me at least the silver one is the best but Hero basic s***s all over the competition..

I'm looking for memory for the Hero 4 Silver now. GoPro recommend 64GB Sandisk SDSDQXL-064G but I'm seeing SDSDQXN-064G advertised at a lower price and being a 'newer' product. SDSDQX-064G also seems to be in the mix.

Anyone care to help me out of my confusion?

Forget all the fuff about the sj4000 being better than the hero.. It isn't. I bought the hero for £99 the week it came out and have used it ever since it's superb and yes I did consider the sj4000 but in every aspect the hero basic it's better than the sj4000 and better than the hero3/white edition. Hero 4 silver is the best one to have if you can warrant the price (today I checked curry's and it's £279) better than black edition as it has a screen over the black but the black does 30fps 4k instead of 15fps 4k. For me at least the silver one is the best but Hero basic s***s all over the competition..

I would completely disagree with this. While the hero is a great camera, the SJ4000 is, in my opinion,a much better prospect at this price point. The screen, WiFi, removable battery, and the fact that it's removable from its casing all make it a much more versatile camera.

The only negatives against the gopro I see are a slightly cooler WB (which can always be altered in post) and the lack of a true 60 FPS option.

I tried both and could have got the Hero for £80 through my work but ended up going for the SJ4000.

techmoan does good reviews
the new cheap one you can't remove the case, so break the tripod mount and.... :-( and it got beat by a sj4000 clone.
what, the cheapo one has a plastic 40m depth housing, and it is fully removable. for tripod mount you need attachments.

I got the cheapo one and it is fine. great footages, can show you the resulting edit in a weeks time if you still need decision. a screen during shooting is highly welcomed. but then again GoPro didn't have screens for any of the previous versions so...go figure if the screen is worth the extra £££

I would completely disagree with this. While the hero is a great camera, the SJ4000 is, in my opinion,a much better prospect at this price point. The screen, WiFi, removable battery, and the fact that it's removable from its casing all make it a much more versatile camera.

The only negatives against the gopro I see are a slightly cooler WB (which can always be altered in post) and the lack of a true 60 FPS option.

I tried both and could have got the Hero for £80 through my work but ended up going for the SJ4000.
I agree with your disagreement, I have an SJ4000 and the video is brilliant and it has a built in lcd screen and wifi! just like my Gopro 4 silver. It's also 20% cheaper than the basic Gopro hero.
It is a genuine SJcam model though, I understand they are streets ahead of the cheap clones.

Last edited:
Hi

Paul

So all the earlier models without screens were pointless?

Riiight.... That must be why they were such a sales flop...

what, the cheapo one has a plastic 40m depth housing, and it is fully removable. for tripod mount you need attachments.

I got the cheapo one and it is fine. great footages, can show you the resulting edit in a weeks time if you still need decision. a screen during shooting is highly welcomed. but then again GoPro didn't have screens for any of the previous versions so...go figure if the screen is worth the extra £££

couple of things I've seen said you couldn't remove it from the case, rear door is swappable tho

tripod mount I mean its normal style mount on bottom. My concern would be going todo some action stuff, and doing damage to lens cover, mount etc... Which greatly damages its potential vs a removeable case one where you just buy a new case

Don't think you'll be disappointed with that - a good price. Let us know how you get on with receiving it, and use. A Hero 4 Silver is on my shopping list as well to complement what I already have.

Ordered from Digital Depot on Saturday and arrived today. £249.99 including a 'free UK Pro flex grip' and delivery, though the price went back up to £289.99 yesterday.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update - and hope it all goes well. Sounds like you scored a bargain.

I saw the price drop on camerapricebuster so it's well worthwhile keeping an eye open there.

Back