No
Hey guys,

I'm going to be spending 6 months in Hong Kong. My current gear is

5Dmk3
24-70 F2.8L
50mm F1.8
85mm F1.8

Canon EOS-m with 22mm F2.0 (35mm f2.0 equiv) and 18-55 IS

I have to get one lens to replace my damaged Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (insurance replacement). At the moment i am torn between the Sigma 35mm F1.4 Art, and the Canon 16-35 F4L IS. I have read that the 17-40 F4L and the 16-35 F2.8L II are both quite poor compared to the 16-35 F4L IS, so have pretty much discounted them.

I think the 35mm will be absolutely great for the night markets and street photography etc, but i already have 35mm Covered by the 24-70 and the EOS-M's pancake, and bright lenses covered by the 50mm and 85mm.

On the other hand, i have absolutely nothing that is wider than 24mm, so any dramatic land/cityscapes are not covered.

For reference, the 16-35 F4L IS will cost me £350 more than the 35mm, and i think the 35mm will perhaps be a better option long term for my professional work.

One other option is to get the 35mm now, and add a 17-40 F4L whilst over there as they are significantly cheaper...this option might actually work out not much more expensive than just a 16-35 F4L IS on its own!

Sorry for the rambling, I'm hoping someone may be able to offer some thoughts, especially anyone that has spent any time in the city!

Thanks,

Tom.

Bank the money until you get there. Chances are the lens will be cheaper in HK than here anyway, but once you're there you'll probably get a much better idea of what you need as opposed to predicting in advance or asking us! :)

Unfortunately i can't, it's an insurance replacement and they will only issue equipment not money! So need to decide in the next few days really.

Lokking at images of HK, I would say a TS-E 17mm :)

Why's that Norkie? the 16-35 F4L is meant to be 99% as sharp as the TS-E. but with IS and versatility...

Other option is to get something that has a decent demand value, and sell it immediately brand new in box, and then buy one/both when i get out there!

Hi Tom,

You'll need a tripod as I guarantee you'll want to take night shots of the Neon, plus the nightly light show.
I use mainly my trusty 24-105 L, and also my 100-400 L as the light out there can be gorgeous.

I go out a lot on business (4/6 times a year) so if there's any questions then please PM me.

However if you do have spare cash and want a new body or lens, they are dirt cheap by comparison to UK prices.
Forget computers and phones etc as the big boys over here offer them cheaper.

Cheers
Dave

I'll be living in Wan Chai for 6 months, so it's not reallllly a trip as such where i'm worred about carrying stuff. I want to be able to go out at night/whenever and get some amazing landscapes, which the EOS-m won't qutie do as well as the 5D3! I've already downsized from a 1DS3, the 5D3 ungripped is very light :D

I'll be taking my gitzo carbon fibre tripod so tripods are not an issue. Cheers for the offer Dave :)

Your welcome Tom
I know Wan Chai well, having been marooned there for 12 days when the Icelandic volcano blew!
I'm there again for a week from the 1st December if you fancy a beer, and me to show you the cheapest shop for camera gear in HK ( it's in Kowloon actually)

Cheers
Dave

Fantastic Dave, drop me a message when you're heading over!

OK, well managed to do that with my previous idea of getting a lens for a friend that was looking to buy anyway...he gets it a little cheaper, i can buy in HK at cheaper prices when i know what i want! Heavily leaning towards the 16-35 F4L IS now, the price difference is much smaller over there.

You will have a great time. For a 6 month trip take everything and buy anything extra there! In fact you can pop into digital rev and panamoz if you fancy. Digital rev HK prices are lower then the uk website.

Reactions: tom
I have both the 35mm and 16-35, both fantastic lenses but if I had to choose one for a trip to HK it would be the 16-35 just for the wide range factor, also your have the 35mm range covered too.

I would definitely wait and buy in HK as the 16-35 can be had for under £700. Good luck and enjoy you stay.

Depends, will you be going to the north part of the island or south ?

Why's that Norkie? the 16-35 F4L is meant to be 99% as sharp as the TS-E. but with IS and versatility...
Sorry for the late reply ;)

Looking at images of HK, lot's of wonderful skyscrapers, lots of converging verticals :)

Definitely wide, 16mm ideal (on FF). And a wide'ish fast prime for the evenings.

Back