Which Lens should I get with my Canon 70D

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
I've not been on here much recently as I sold all my equipment about a year ago due to my work shifts not giving me any time for photography. But i now only have to work 3 days a week which gives me the rest of the week to snap away.

So at the end of this month I will be buying a Canon 70D.

Digitalrev and HDEW both have some great packages on offer but I am undecided as to which one I should get.

I have around £1100 for camera and lens

I really like the look of HDEW's package that includes the EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS USM but at £1060.00 that almost blows my whole budget.

Is it worth blowing the budget or should I go with the 18-55mm or the 18-135mm STM and maybe get a 50mm f1.8 and some accessories like a bag and cheap tripod.

Most people on here will say that the 24-105 is not designed for a crop sensor camera! The 18-135 has had some really good reviews specially with the new STM system! Suppose it comes down to what you'll be shooting and wether you need the wider range of the 18-135 but happy to lose the constant ap!!!

I recently had exactly the same dilemma as yourself. In the end I went for the 18-135 STM and the 50mm f/1.8 and I've not looked back (y)

Most people on here will say that the 24-105 is not designed for a crop sensor camera! The 18-135 has had some really good reviews specially with the new STM system! Suppose it comes down to what you'll be shooting and wether you need the wider range of the 18-135 but happy to lose the constant ap!!!

I will be shooting a bit of everything really, so i'm looking for the best quality lens i can get for all round use. The constant aperture is what i find most attractive with this lens. I very much intend to buy more lenses further down the line but as this will be my first lens that i will be using for a while i want to make sure its the best that is within my price range.

Buy the Canon 70D body £610 new, but perhaps consider used for your lenses.

The 15-85mm a good walk around lens, there's also the tamron 17-50mm f2.8 or canon 17-55mm f2.8, but look at buying used. 15-85mm £359, tamron 17-50mm £160-215 depending on which version or canon 17-55mm £350. Canon 50mm f1.8 or f1.4 (£64/229)

@ mpb photographic or one of the other used dealers like ffordes, mifsuds, park cameras, camtech, digital depot etc

I recently got an 18-135 STM for my 70D, it's the only EF-S lens I have as I share the 70D with a full frame body, and mainly got it for a video project I'm looking at starting in the future. However, the lens is an absolute cracker, far sharper than the older IS version it's replaced and it's a great length as a general walk around lens for the 70D. I'm debating whether to sell my 24-105 f4L IS now as it has gone further down the pecking order, although it's still a great lens, but I'm just not getting enough use from it now.

Back