Which Lens...???

Name
Stevie
Edit My Images
No
I will be new to SLR (buying a 500D) and dont want to buy the wrong lens and regret it later...

SO

Canon EF 70-200 f4L non-IS

OR

Canon EF 70-300 f4-5.6 IS usm

WITH

Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 is usm (upgraded later)

OR

Canon EF-s 18-200 IS usm

ALSO

Can I use these for macro with rings or a reversing ring...?

THANKS TO ALL WHO HELP...!!!

Hi, kind of depends on what you are going to do with them and your budget :shrug:

Firstly, I would buy the body with the kit lens (if you do upgrade in the future, you can always sell it on). Personally, if your doing that, then apart from the convenience of not having to swop lenses, I wouldn't buy the 18-200 lens.

With regard to the initial 2, the 70-200 F4 is an extreemley good lens, the 70-300 IS is a very good lens, has the extra 100mm and IS aswell, so falls down to finances and what you are wanting to use them for - do you need the extra 100mm and IS ? If you were to buy the 70-300 IS and later decided you wanted to trade up, again, you shouldn't have a problem selling it as it is a well regarded lens.

Hope this is of some help, but I'm not sure I might have only confused you more :thinking:

I made the mistake of buying too many cheaper end lenses but not quite upto the image quality I was looking for. Yesterday I bought the canon 70-200 L F4 and noticed the difference immediately. Amazing lens. The only thing I'm worried about is that I may be mugged.

Purely my opinion here but i would go for the 70-200 f4.
It's a gorgeous lens and whilst I have more need for more reach and an UWA this is still on my 'must buy' list.

If you desperately need the extra reach then get the 70-300.

It is a LENS - FFS. If you can't spell it, how are you meant to make up your mind which one?

LENS - singular
LENSES - plural.

It is a LENS - FFS. If you can't spell it, how are you meant to make up your mind which one?

LENS - singular
LENSES - plural.

A bit rude and blunt answer question without remarks about spelling please we can all make mistakes
Bob

A bit rude and blunt answer question without remarks about spelling please we can all make mistakes
Bob

Especially considering that lens is an acceptable but uncommon variant of the word lens.

:D

May be a US thing but it does show up in a lot of dictionaries.

Hey Stevie. Would have to agree with the more knowledgable on here. The 70-200 has been on my wish list for a while. Depends if you need that little bit of extra reach or not I suppose - what area were you thinking of concentrating on?

Good luck with the 500D - I'm sure you'll enjoy. (Oh, and good luck with the spelling exam when you go to buy the new 'lens'. Apparently they don't let you have one if you can't spell it correctly....;))

....having checked out your Flickr page, what about a nice 100mm 2.8?! I'm having a ball with mine!

Bob

LOL it's sort of an ongoing joke on the forums I think

to the original poster,
welcome to the world of DSLR's...
frankly...any lens you buy might be upgraded in the future.
the important thing I think is, if you have loads of money, get the best you can afford...if, like me...you can't afford lots of lovely lenses, then get the ones you will grow the most with

I would look at the 18-55 IS kit lens, it's nice for the money
for general stuff then the tamron 2.8 is nice for decent money
long end of things, if you want to get up close then the 70-300 IS is really nice, but not up to the quality of L glass, however, for starting out you;'ll really like it. I came from LUMIX bridge camera territory to a similar canon entry level body
you will miss the range and IS of a lumix body, so I would look at the 70-300 IS and the 17-50 Tamron or the kit lens 18-55 IS.

would start you off nicely. and then look at the obligatory 50mm 1.8 :)

The way forward...

"Its a brave new world out there..."

God I love that saying...heard it at a works meeting...the most ridicullickulous thing I have ever heard...I cant spell ridiculous either...

lens...or lens...I can live with both...sorry folks...and no offence taken...from anyone...love the FFS acro...

ANYWAY...

Buying the Canon 500d...using my option to change the lens to a EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM...saving pennies for the bigger lens at xmas (25th) and bday (30th) time...also ordering a UV filter and Remote...as I like to do macro stuff...SO THE FORUM HAS HELPED GREATLY...

I decided to go this way because I'm getting the stuff from a member...Kerso...he has been very helpful and his prices are very reasonable...

I still have some bits to sell so may end up getting it sooner than later...and I have a couple of bits that will carry over...Lowepro bag...puffer clone...Raynox 250...etc

My beloved FZ30 will also be up for sale...at some stage...

I am looking forward to getting used to the WALKABOUT lens first...and honing my skills...(spelling inc)...

THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE ANSWERED MY MANY MONTHS OF...QUESTIONS...INQUISITIONS...OK RAMBLING NOW...JUST THANKS...!!!

I'll update everything once i have completed and taken some photos...off to Cancun in a few weeks...so will have to get busy...

CHEERS

STEVIER

At least you saw the humour in it.

Some very tetchy folks on here aren't there! I bet their wear cardigans......

I am picking up my EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM tomorrow and can't wait. I do a lot of research before buying lenses and this lens is a good-un! My nephew (almost Pro photographer) has this lens and says it's really good.

A good way to compare lenses is to compare actual shots taken with the lenses you are interested in. I go to the canon forum and look at what people have posted there. They have a section where you can look at images taken with certain lenses...here> http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=107

I wish we had a similar section on this forum.

If you can afford 'L' glass then go for that!

I'm not over keen on the 18-55 f3.5-5.6 is usm but it's ok for a basic lens.

Good luck with whatever you choose and let us know what you end up buying.

Slip of the ginned up fingers :nuts: Plymouth, of course, none of that London rubbish that comes in green bottles. :D He was a moron.:p

Ahhhhh...my Paypal & Credit card have messed up...will need to pay tomorrow after I confirm I want to buy something to my CC Company...Security...MORE LIKE BB FFS...!!!

Told you I liked FFS Lensflare...or should that be LENSEFLARE...!!!

STEVIER

Back