Which monopod please

Name
Mervyn
Edit My Images
Yes
Would someone please recommend a really good monopod please for my 300/2.8 lens. Is there any benefit in an Arca swiss plate on a monopod or just use the standard screw straight into the lens foot?
merv

Be a man get yourself down the Gym :D in saying that I think I need to join you as my arms were aching today I might have to invest
in one myself :p

I have a Giottos MML3290B. It feels light and study. I have a manfroto tilt head on it. Its also cheaper than a gym membership

A tilt head is valuable for lenses of shorter focal length but more dubiously for the length you quote. As far as I can see at this moment, a quick-release plate is valuable in all circumstances.

Giottos, Manfrotto - both good. QR leg clamps being adustable for tension will stand the test of time.

Last edited:
I find setting the tilt slightly on 400mm helps. It also accepts 200pl qr plate. I dont use it lose.

Would someone please recommend a really good monopod please for my 300/2.8 lens. Is there any benefit in an Arca swiss plate on a monopod or just use the standard screw straight into the lens foot?
merv

Get whatever you fancy really, providing it's tall enough. Even the cheapies will do the job, monopods are not like tripods - basically just a 1/4in screw on the end of a broomstick.

If you go birding or shooting aircraft, you will need something tall enough to put the camera above your eye-line. You will also need a head of some sort; I prefer a ball-head, others go for a monopod head. But if it's just motorsport with a bit of panning, you'll not need as much height and can get away bolting straight to the lens foot.

Edit: you should fit an Arca-Swiss plate in any case, make sure it's long enough to achieve optimum balance on monopod/tripod/gimbal. Balance point varies according to weight of camera etc.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys. Aircraft my main use. Would you believe I have a Manfrotto 393 Gimbal head and have never used it!
Must get it out and try it on a monopod

:p:shifty::muted: :muted:
:nikon:

Yes agree with Hoppy a Swiss arca plate is better, it makes it easier to use if its balanced properly
I tried just hand holding but a monpod is much easier:)
I use a kiwi photo plate and monopod head from ebay on a 3 section ally manfrotto monopod with my 300 2.8 and 7D

I use a Manfrotto 679B, 3-section monopod. Pretty solid, but perhaps not the most compact though..

I tried the 679 but it was too short for shooting skyward for me. Its also quite heavy compared th the Giottos.

Remember to turn VC off with the monopod like I didn't :(

I will be using a 300.2.8 lens and a Manfrotto 680b monopod. So I should fit and Arca Swiss type clamp to the monopod and a plate to the lens foot. Apparently I need a plate dedicated to that particular lens foot, would that be correct? I see different lengths of plate from about 1.75" up to about 4". Minefeild!

I will be using a 300.2.8 lens and a Manfrotto 680b monopod. So I should fit and Arca Swiss type clamp to the monopod and a plate to the lens foot. Apparently I need a plate dedicated to that particular lens foot, would that be correct? I see different lengths of plate from about 1.75" up to about 4". Minefeild!

You don't need a new lens foot, just bolt on an Arca-Swiss plate, eg this 100mm one for £9 http://www.amazon.co.uk/FITTEST-Rel...332700&sr=1-6&keywords=arca+swiss+plate+100mm or whatever length you fancy. This is a lens plate, there's more metal in them than similar camera plates (not hollowed out underneath) so stronger, though I doubt you'd have much trouble with a similar camera plate and they come with grippy rubber pads, like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eggsnow-Uni...332700&sr=1-3&keywords=arca+swiss+plate+100mm

If you want to use the Arca-Swiss system, you'll need to convert everything to suit.

For flying aircraft I gave up on my monopod because I found it harder to track them accurately with it attached. I do use it for stuff on the ground and have a QR plate so I can dump it quickly in order to get stuff in the air. I used to have a very compact Manfrotto MMC thing but it couldn't take the weight of my 7D+400/4 so I swapped it for an ultra light Manfrotto 694CX carbon fibre with a basic QR tilt head on it, that does me fine for wildlife or aircraft on the ground and is probably my most used accessory.

Thanks Carlos I see that now. Yes the Gimbal has a sliding plate I have tried it out at home but not in anger yet.
As William says, I think the monopod even with a Gimbal might hinder tracking of planes but have yet to try it

Gitzo mono with Kirk tilt head my choice, not cheap but very very good.

Back