Which one lens for the 450D.

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
At the moment I have the Canon 18-135mm lens and a Sigma 10-20mm lens. They both produce poor images.

The Canon produces unsharp images on the whole of the focal range and the Sigma has a focus problem. I won't post the threads on here, if you would like to see them you'll have to search for them. I'm looking to sell both lenses.

Of course, with the 18-135mm lens, I may have something wrong with it or I have a problem with the camera body where it doesn't auto focus properly. Between this lens and the 18-55mm kit lens, the kit lens is capable of taking better photos.

I was wondering what ONE lens I could buy which would suit the Canon 450D. In the future I would like to own a full frame camera, so maybe stick to EF lenses.

I take mostly landscapes with the Canon lens. I hardly ever shoot at the full 135 focal range of the lens.

Just one lens is always going to be a compromise. If one lens was perfect we would all just have one lens why would we bother spending all our money buying anything else?

Unless you need the wide angle I would thoroughly recommend the 28-135mm IS USM lens.

They are very sharp and the AF focuses quickly.

And you can often pick up one on here for under £200.

Last edited:
The problem you will have buying a single lens now to use with full frame sometime in the future is that full frame "general lenses" aren't going to be very wide on a crop sensor e.g. 24-105 or 24-70 range. If you want to get wider then you need to look at 17-40 or 16-35. the 17-40 not being a very fast lens and the 16-35 being very expensive.

Personally I would be looking to get a Tamron 17-50 or Canon 17-55 on the second hand market. Neither will work if you switch to full frame but both are better suited for you at the moment and should hold most if not all of their value if you have shopped well and look after them.

Last edited:
As has been said, buying 1 lens to cover all, can be a compromise...

I was wondering what ONE lens I could buy which would suit the Canon 450D. In the future I would like to own a full frame camera, so maybe stick to EF lenses..

I've had the 28-135IS lens and really liked it. The 24-105L is a great lens and I really like mine, but it carries a price tag with it - not sure what the new 24-05 IS STM lens is like - could be another option if you definitely want to stick with EF lenses...

I take mostly landscapes with the Canon lens. I hardly ever shoot at the full 135 focal range of the lens.

What focal length have you generally been shooting at, this might help narrow your search - as has been suggested the Canon 17-55 is worth a look at, but depends if you def want to go with EF lenses...

First of all, you say you're having issues with either of your 2 lenses, have you had the lenses checked out? Knowone's going to buy lenses with focusing issues if that's the problem with these lenses. I assume you have no issues with your camera and kit lens? I would check the issues with these lenses first because the sigma 10-20 had some good reviews, but you don't state which version of the 18-135mm you have.

If you don't want to go down the route of check out the issues with your lenses, then you could look at the 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 IS EF-S lens or either the 2 lenses suggested above, canon's 17-55mm f2.8 and tamron's 17-50mm f2.8

On a crop; Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non VC. It really is an awesome lens, across the range of focal length and apetures. Good for landscapes, excellent for portrait.

I have this lens, i have had it for years, its fantastic. I would like the VC version, but at 2.8 its plenty sharp enough and the VC on such a side lens is not necessary, mine might be up for sale, PM me if you are interested. (bet i broke a rule there, so hawking or something right)

Or just go and buy a new one, not to expensive and well worth the money. if you are strapped for cash, get a 55-250IS also, its not an amazing lens, but the IS is amazing and for £150 its fantastic value, i still use mine sometimes.

I'd go for a crop lens if just one lens. In which case I'd suggest the Sigma 17-70 OS ART lens. Better than the Tamron in almost every way. It' significantly sturdier, longer at the long end and easily as sharp. Only negatives are it is f/4 at the long end (which the Tamron can't even reach...) and the focus ring rotates when focussing.

My other half has the 17-70 now and I used to have the Tamron before it broke. Personally I never thought it was that great a lens. It's got a lot of momentum behind it because its a direct, better, version of the kit lenses and it's relatively cheap (much cheaper than the first party equivalents).

Back