Which One

• Thread starter Deleted member 66071
  • Start date
Bad points:

It is soft.
It is noisy.
It is a bird on a feeder.

Good points:

I honestly can`t think of one, other than you have got something to improve on. I can`t see the exif, so can`t help on that.

Sorry for the negative, but that is how I see it.

Ade the only defence sitting in a hide with birds flitting constantly from feeder to bush was catching on a kinda point and shoot shot,other than that guilty as charged.
Snooky./ Tintin thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
1767050_orig.jpg

I have one of those, taken when first testing a 400mm f6.3 MF lens I was given. Its a bit soft in this one but when stepped up its acceptably sharp. Nice bokeh.

Ok then George,we agree that it can be improved on, so lets see how you can improve on the shot.

Which camera,lens combo are you using in the shot,which settings?

What is the hide like,is it yours or a public hide?

Ade thanks for responce CANON 7D 300MML F4 MODEL T/V MODE 1/1000S F5.6 ISO 3200,USED MONOPOD IN PUBLIC HIDE Wildfowl Wetlands Centre .
As not into the software packages as such only have free Photoscape which must admit do not bother very much with.
GEORGE.

OJ9400 thanks for your input including your photo
GEORGE.

Ade thanks for responce CANON 7D 300MML F4 MODEL T/V MODE 1/1000S F5.6 ISO 3200,USED MONOPOD IN PUBLIC HIDE Wildfowl Wetlands Centre .
As not into the software packages as such only have free Photoscape which must admit do not bother very much with.
GEORGE.
OK, so you cannot do much about the perch as it is a wildfowl centre. ( Woodpecker perches are easy to make and set up if you have a garden George. I can post details if your interested)

1/1000th is a high shutter speed for a fairly static subject on a perch. I would drop the shutter speed to maybe half of that or even less if you are resting on a bean bag or similar. That will reduce your ISO and help with the noise. F5.6 will give you decent depth of field,dependant on distance. Distance between you and the subject will be governed by the hide and perch, not much you can do about that.

The Canon 7D is a crop body isn`t it? If so your 300 has the equivalant range of a 450mm lens, which should be ok, did you crop the picture a lot?

You can download a trial version of lightroon FOC George,it is easy to use and may be worth you having a dabble with. Whether we like it or not, believe me that I hate processing, but it has to be done most of the time. It is an important part of of what you want to achieve.

Ade many thanks for your feedback and time note the advice on settings,certainly would be interested in the Woodpecker information re perch.Have a small urban type garden but with two bird poles and a number of feeders see a really varied type of birds including Sparrowhawk along with the usual Blue tits /Goldfinches /Greats the latest which has put in an appearance is a Jay.Suppose not bad for an urban garden,
The photo was straight out of camera,yes the Canon7D is a crop camera.Have a bean bag which was home made but seems like need to use it more.
Thank once again Ade
GEORGE.

I always take a bean bag to those type of places George, no weight and are very handy.

I`ll take some shots of my wood pecker perch and post details up, i`ll let you know when I have done it.

Back