which settings?

Name
grainne
Edit My Images
Yes
Im still trying to get to grips with photography and my new camera (canon1000d- not even a week old yet!!) My brother asked me to take a few shots of his car in our garage which is quite dark! Any advice on what setting I should use?

All hints and tips would be very much appreciated!!

thanks!

G

Have you got a flash and / or tripod?
What lenses do you have?

Use a tripod or other support. I'd use an aperture between f/5.6 and f/8, ISO 100, and whatever shutter speed the camera picks for it. This way, you'll be able to get nice sharp images (optimum aperture for sharpness), low noise (low ISO) and the image should be sharp because the camera was on a solid support.

The main thing to be concerned about is lighting the car correctly as metal is tricky at best to light well!

George.

Use a tripod or other support. I'd use an aperture between f/5.6 and f/8, ISO 100, and whatever shutter speed the camera picks for it. This way, you'll be able to get nice sharp images (optimum aperture for sharpness), low noise (low ISO) and the image should be sharp because the camera was on a solid support.

The main thing to be concerned about is lighting the car correctly as metal is tricky at best to light well!

George.

:agree:

Drive it outside!!!

Also :agree:

:LOL:

Hi Pete! Havent got a flash but have a tripod! Ive just the 18-55mm lens as its the one that came with the camera! As I said Ive only had the camera a few days!

Thanks George! Much appreciated! I'll def give it a go!

Joking! It's baking, my garden is badly in need of some rainfall!
Don't fancy shipping me some rainwater do you :LOL:

Raining? its 29 Degrees c here just North of London, but we were forecast to have circa 12mm of rain tomorrow afternoon, but the band of rain seems to be moving Northwards and looks like we will miss the worst of it.

Dependant on the colour of the car, they can be very difficult to photograph correctly - the camera can be easily confused, especially if the car is very clean / shiny as for example you can get the bonnet correctly exposed and the sides underexposedby from focusing/metering on the bonnet or vice versa.

Try doing your shots in daylight first, best shots are where the car is 3/4's facing you, with the camera held at bonnet height focusing roughly in the middle of the front wheel arch - flash can be very tricky to set up correctly.

The following is a few years old, but it shows the most common mistake made when taking photos of cars and gives some good tips - well worth reading or even doing a Google search for more examples.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0506phr_get_your_car_phr/index.html

The weather is always good in London but here in NI we never get any sunshine!!! Its always drzzle drizzle drizzle! Thanks for the tips everyone! Much appreciated!

Back