Which UWA Lens Should I Hire?

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I have a week off work coming up and I have a long list of locations on my wish list which I'm hoping to get through!

Amongst this list is the Glyderau Range in Snowdonia, and more specifically, the Devil's Kitchen:

Lovely photo of the Devil''s Kitchen taken at 18mm

Google Map

I also have plans to visit the Balcombe Viaduct:

Balcombe Viaduct

I also have a few more but I thought seeing as it's going to be a busy week that £40 to hire a lens is quite frankly a steal! the only trouble now is...which one!

Lenses for Hire has a good selection of UWA lenses - I could really do with some guidance on which would be the most beneficial.

The choices are:

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - £37.50

Sigma/C 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM - £33.50

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM - £35.25

I have a 1000D with the 18-55 kit lens and a 28-300 Sigma. I am leaning towards the 10-22, mainly because of the range and the IS which could be useful as I don't have a tripod.

Can anyone shed some light on the image quality of the Canon 10-22 compared to the Sigma?

Many thanks,

Tom

P.S. I almost convinced myself to pursue a Tokina 11-16 earlier - I have the UWA bug! :bonk:

P.P.S. I will of course be getting insurance!

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - £37.50

I am leaning towards the 10-22, mainly because of the range and the IS which could be useful as I don't have a tripod.

Can anyone shed some light on the image quality of the Canon 10-22 compared to the Sigma?

Many thanks,

Tom

Just for your info, the Canon doesn't have IS.

For me I'd go Canon, I had the Siggy for a couple of days and found it rather soft in comparison. I'm sure you'll LOVE any UWA you hire.

Go for the Canon! It's a little sharper than the Sigma, if I was buying I'd say the Sigma because the Canon is a fair bit more expensive, but if you're renting go for the 10-22.

I'd seriously recommend getting a little travel tripod type thing as well, I've got one that I can keep in my camera bag, and it'll really expand the type of shots you can take, especially if it's looking nice as the sun starts to go down!

Chris

I hired the canon (from lensesforhire, and have since bought a second hand one) and was very happy with it. I did find it difficult to not use it zoomed in, but eventually got the hang of it.
+1 for the tripod. As you are going for landscapes, you can take some nice long exposures. (don't make the aperture too small though). I found on the 400d, that the colour contrast improved the longer the exposure.

If the 18-55 you have is the same as the 400d kit, then this can be used to some extent for landscapes, so I am not sure if these are what interest you, that the 17-40 is going to be of major use.

This is one taken at shoulder height, long exposure, no other playing.

Thanks all!

I think I saw the 'S' and got excited.....

Seems like the Canon 10-22 is the winner - as coldpenguin mentioned with the 17-40 covering a range that I already have, the 10-22 will probably be the best bet.

A tripod is definately on my shopping list, although I'm not sure I would want to lug it up the Glyder range! A 700m vertical gain is going to be hard work as it is - i think i'll have to jetison my 28-300 if i take the 10-22 and the 17-55!

Thanks for your help everyone :)

Tom

A tripod is definately on my shopping list, although I'm not sure I would want to lug it up the Glyder range! A 700m vertical gain is going to be hard work as it is

Have a look for mini tripods, seriously! I got one of these when they were on special offer for about a tenner, it's under 30cm high, surprisingly sturdy, and weighs hardly anything. Set it up on some rocks and you're good to go!

Back