Critique Which way to go

Name
Scott Dance
Edit My Images
No
Taken in a studio over the weekend, with a title in mind of "solace", not sure how to bring this image forward with impact. Out of camera with no edit oth3r than resizing for this thread. Your thoughts would be welcome . Forgive the quality of the image , this was degraded when resizing
Ayla Rose.jpg

@sirch looking for high end , see your point on the crop. Just didn't know really what I wanted at the time , I knew the shot but not how to use it to its best potential . Thank you for your comment and recommendations

It seems pretty effective to me Scott but perhaps not as "solace."

I'm not sure about Sirch's idea to crop as I think the space around the model fits with the sort of impact and look I think you're going for and I suppose if the shot is already taken different positioning in the frame could only be accomplished now by cropping and that would reduce the space around the model.

All in all I do think it's an effective and thought provoking picture but as I live with depression it's an image I personally wouldn't want to create as it makes me slightly uncomfortable but I suppose that just points to the image being effective but if I'm right in how I'm interpreting the image, as a more emotionally negative image I'm not sure solace is the right title. "Despair" maybe? "Distress" maybe? To fit in a bit better with what I understand solace to mean perhaps it would have been an idea to include a comforting aspect? Maybe another person in or entering the frame to provide the comfort aspect of solace to the main subject in distress?

Sorry if I've read it all wrong :D

Last edited:
@woof woof Thank you for your interpretation of the image. My image or naming was not meant to cause any offence, at the time it seemed appropriate, on reflection maybe the wrong view of how I see it (y)

Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. I'm not offended :D I do think it is a thought provoking and emotional image and well executed by you.

Last edited:
Back