Whipsnade Red Panda

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
CJP20140517-8757.jpg

Finally got round to going through some images from a trip to ZSL Whipsnade in May this is the 1st image I've processed from that trip. Others may or may not appear as I would like to try get a bit more feed back on my images to help drive me forward.

This panda gave me the run around and was surprisingly hard to shoot.

I quite like that as it looks uncharacteristically ferocious! The OOF area on the left looks a bit odd to me, almost like a water painted background, but the Panda looks good (maybe a little warming up perhaps) (y)

I didn't think to change the WB so it's as shot in auto. It looked okay but I do see your point. Bit of warmth often helps lift an image.

Not sure what's going on the the background. It's through the branches so could just be all the specular gaps becoming too busy.

It's due to the shallow depth of field, I would imagine a 2.8 or lower apurture, if you look closely you will notice
that only the Panda's face and claws are in focus, the foreground is also slightly blurred.
Nice unusual pose though :)

Last edited:
It's due to the shallow depth of field, I would imagine a 2.8 or lower apureture, if you look closely you will notice
that only the Panda's face and claws are in focus, the foreground is also slightly blurred.
Nice unusual pose though :)
No I know why. It is 2.8, I have a bad wide open habit. Just never seen such weird bokeh from that lens before.

Could probably have done with being f4 or more if I am honest. I've been trying to think through my f-stop a bit more rather than just wide open. But this image predates that.

Oh I like it.
He always looks grumpy, but you seem to have caught him in a particularly bad one :LOL:

Like it an unusual angle peering round the tree

Back