White Sands National Monument, NM

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
This is not actually sand, but Gypsum. Sixty miles north (within a missile test zone, which is still in use) is the Trinity site, where the first nuclear device was detonated. All comments appreciated.

13949649214_1a1d5bf1f7_o.jpg

13926080591_917eb5ab8b_o.jpg

13926089632_40626412ba_o.jpg

13949649814_336d7baec1_o.jpg

The B&W are excellent and a good shot of the yucca plant too .Very well done in such challenging conditions.

I really appreciate these as I visited this place in 2012 but unfortunately towards 12 noon ..I was taken there with a group so no say re. timing... and failed to get any really decent shots because of the glare. I'd forgotten to pack my CP: Did you see any of the Bleached Earless Lizards ? I saw quite a few http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g29760-i28315908-Alamogordo_New_Mexico.html

I saw that they have to keep the roads clear with ploughs..like snow ploughs, as the sands are constantly on the move being driven by strong SW winds.

Impressive shots, I do like the second one with the delicate textures in the sand and the moon breaking up the plain sky.

Hi John, Mark, thank you for commenting. I'm glad you enjoyed these.

John, that's cool that you saw some lizards, but when I was there for a couple of days, I didn't see anything moving apart from people (quite a few tracks though as the place is very much nocturnal). I plan to visit again soon, and this time I'll obtain a back-country camping permit (they lock the gates exactly 1hr after Sun down. You see the mad scurry of togs waiting to the last minute).

Those critters are well camouflaged, no wonder I missed them (I would be heart broken to find out that I had stood on one).

Did you get to see the Indian pyroglyths, off the main highway, 30 miles north of Alamogordo?

13974359191_01a6d5f828.jpg

Last edited:
Back