who is clued up on old film stuff then

I had a Zenit 12 XP for a while, it was built like a tank and never gave me any trouble despite a reputation for not being that reliable.
It was M42 mount, I would think the Zenit 11 will be the same, M42 Pentax screw, so there will be a good range of cheap lenses available.
I dunno about adapters to M43

looking at this thinking that if the camera is no good I can always use the lens with an adapter on m43

http://www.gumtree.com/p/non-digita...n-bag-extension-tubes-instructions/1089621097

any good?

I don't see why not.

MFT adapters can be had for under £10 and there's bound to be one for that lens mount :D

Personally I have Minolta Rokkor, Olympus Zuiko and Canon FD manual lenses and they work well on MFT, just remember that MFT is x2 crop so 50mm becomes 100mm field of view on MFT. Manual lenses are a joy to use on mirrorless cameras.

The Helios 44 series lens included is a cracker...it's the Russian clone of the old Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58/2. It has some interesting swirly bokeh when used wide open, although this is more obvious wide open.

The lens itself is easy to buy for around £15. If you were after the camera as well, I'd recommend a 12XP or TTL which has electronic metering rather than the old system which always confused me :D

Hmmm. Personally I think I'd rather go for something a little more mainstream like a Rokkor/Zuiko/FD which can all be had for about the same price of that lens.

On the general subject... I think it's very nice to have lenses that can be used on both film and digital bodies.

There seems to be quite a number of Zenits to choose from on a big auction site beginning with e.

Many moons ago I used to sell cameras for a living, the Zeniths were already outdated then (late 70's) and terribly unreliable, I can't see how that situation would improve with age. If you want old lenses to use with adaptors keep your eye out for the better m42 screw thread lenses, the super takumars or fujinon ebc. Alternatively as previously stated other mounts such as the Olympus zuikos, or canon FD were and still are superb glass

Back