Why I HAVEN'T switched from X to Y

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
[Censored] Fruitcake Bat
Edit My Images
No
Because I don't need to. My current gear serves me pretty well despite Petapixel, F-stoppers and their financial supporters trying to convince us that all the cool dudes are switching to Fuji or Sony. It is no secret companies pay bloggers and infest social media these days because the conventional TV or print ads just no longer work.

I wonder when this all will die down. What do you guys think? Does your nikon or canon is no longer capable of producing worthy output since competitor Model XYZ came to market?

P.S. If you represent either company and have a spare brand new Q5 perhaps we could discuss this in private? :)

The marketing types who are trying to convince DSLR users that it is our best interest to move to CSCs are not sharing this advice because it helps us create better images, it is of course more to do with money & profits. DSLR users are not profitable enough for the major camera manufacturing companies as we usually buy a camera to fit lens we already own. Moving to a CSC system would earn them more money as we'd have to buy into CSC lenses and other CSC accessories.

I guess you are one of the people who listened a few years ago when all the bloggers,reviewers and internet marketers were telling people they had to have a Canon dSLR if they wanted to take 'good' photos; or maybe a Nikon if they were a rebel ;)

I like it that the market has become a bit more diverse and some of the other old companies like Fuji and Olympus etc are a bit more prominent.

I mainly shoot with a 1D3

Old tech now but on release - perhaps the best camera around.

ISO has moved on but whenever I feel I could do with a replacement - I just look at all the amazing images taken between the invention of the camera and 2009 and feel stupid for thinking I need any more :)

Last edited:
Some of the arguments that the deluded pursue with themselves to fuel their main hobby of shopping are remarkably hollow.

Last edited:
Technophilia

Some people 'need' the latest TV, latest phone, latest tablet, latest PC etc

Being digital - that's the market for cameras now.

Part of me hates the fact that some people are more into the gear than the actual photography but I guess it drives development.

Marketing photographic kit must be curious: surely most of us buy the gear we think will suit what we want to do best (balanced a little by what we can afford) don't we?

So I already use a Sony - I was ahead of the curve. ;)

Part of the cause of this must be the number of new cameras coming out in short succession. There are currently a lot of advancements going on with CSCs, compared to DSLRs. I'm sure it will all die down at some stage.

Couldn't give a flying dodar about them, the canon does everything I ask it to and more, I can print at larger than I ever need to for my work and it still looks great.

I'll keep my canon and I also think it looks cooler too. haha

Everyone has opinions so its each to their own really

I switched to a CSC system as it suits my needs better. (more portable and i use it more now than i did my Canon 60D, as it's not a chore to carry around now.

My aching neck and back convinced me, image quality from the Fuji ain't none too shabby either.

Not the lure of new stuff, still got a 1997 car with cassette player, full size separates hi-fi and phone that just makes/receives calls along with many other older things

Never heard of petapixel or f-stoppers let alone use social media, so wasn't persuaded by them, I am a cool dude though :)

Last edited:
Because I don't need to. My current gear serves me pretty well despite Petapixel, F-stoppers and their financial supporters trying to convince us that all the cool dudes are switching to Fuji or Sony. It is no secret companies pay bloggers and infest social media these days because the conventional TV or print ads just no longer work.

I wonder when this all will die down. What do you guys think? Does your nikon or canon is no longer capable of producing worthy output since competitor Model XYZ came to market?

P.S. If you represent either company and have a spare brand new Q5 perhaps we could discuss this in private? :)

What a strange little post.

I sense your angst and pain but there's no need to feel threatened by new technology coming into the market. Even if every single full time pro and part time enthusiast photographer in the world changes from DSLR's to CSC's your own gear will still continue to work and you don't even need to worry about it wearing out or dying as even if everyone stops making DSLR's there'll be enough on the used market to keep you happy for the rest of your life...

Just as when any new technology enters the market there'll be people who embrace it and people who resist and the arguments will go back and forth until most people accept it and most of the arguments are forgotten and left behind in the mists of time.

Don't worry, be happy. Let other people do their thing and you do yours and like the bard said "If you don't give a damn about the man with the bible in his hand just get out the way and let the gentleman do his thing. Respect Yourself."
:D

Last edited:
The marketing types who are trying to convince DSLR users that it is our best interest to move to CSCs are not sharing this advice because it helps us create better images, it is of course more to do with money & profits. DSLR users are not profitable enough for the major camera manufacturing companies as we usually buy a camera to fit lens we already own. Moving to a CSC system would earn them more money as we'd have to buy into CSC lenses and other CSC accessories.

I think you've got it the wrong way round.

DSLR makers and their marketing lovvies don't want you to buy a CSC, that's why their CSC's aren't worth buying (Nikon 1 users... I'm kidding.) It's the companies that couldn't sell you a DSLR that want you to buy a CSC. The lucky coincidence is that they might be on to something and many people see advantages in CSC's.

I must admit giggling at guys doing all sorts of things to look at the rear screen in sunlight, while I can just lift a77 to my eye to review my pics.

but its just a continuation of a classic trend of going smaller tbh, and body size means jack in terms of image quality, and the a7 series is about the same size as classic film slrs

I still can't get past c anon mind I started at Z enith

Technically, this was my first camera too if we go back when I was a kid.

I guess you are one of the people who listened a few years ago when all the bloggers,reviewers and internet marketers were telling people they had to have a Canon dSLR if they wanted to take 'good' photos; or maybe a Nikon if they were a rebel ;)

I suppose there is some truth here. The lens line up was the longest (and still is) if you buy Canon or Nikon. Ebay was swamped with them. I got a good deal on 30D + 100mm macro kit from Canon (40D was just announced), but had I won an auction for 105mm VR micro first my kit bag would look very different today. So it was Canon mostly by chance. From that point switching becomes increasingly more painful and I'd rather not entertain that idea unless something extraordinary happens, e.g. I discover EF mount is discontinued.

Profits drive all companies. I'm a bit surprised that Canon and to some extent Nikon can't find any funds for similar marketing. They look like labour party if I shall say so here.

Moving to a new system indeed requires all new lenses. I am not sure how much I can trust E mount staying at its current spec. Alpha is apparently nearly obsolete after just a few years of sony ownership (so where is A900 / A99 mk2?!) and let's not forget that even m4/3 had undergone some changes from initial release. The initial m43 lenses are sort of not fully functional (or was it Fuji?). Same could happen with E when they decide to add more communication pins and what not. It needs some time to mature. Any reasonable person would wait until mk3 model of the system when lens and flash line-up is complete.

but its just a continuation of a classic trend of going smaller tbh, and body size means jack in terms of image quality, and the a7 series is about the same size as classic film slrs

But classic film SLRs evolved into something bigger and everyone was happy about that. The remaining 'classic' models such as Zeiss SLRs gone extinct very rapidly. I'd argue 5D or 1D is the perfect size if you want grippless or gripped camera, respectively. I can operate them in the winter with gloves, where I'd struggle with A7. My hands are too big for 'classic' shape cameras. Unless cameras are all about fashion and 70's are trendy again.

Technology advances in increments, whether large or small. No-one has to buy into every increment (but some do, and that's their over-funded consumerist indulgence). If you're a new purchaser, then you tap into the stream at it's current state of development, or save money and buy used stuff from a generation or three back. If seven-year-old technology is going to cripple your photography, then maybe you should be under psychiatric supervision, for heaven's sake.

You sure about that? Here's a new mirrorless that might just change your mind - Phase One Alpha https://fstoppers.com/gear/phase-one-announces-series-medium-format-mirrorless-camera-systems-45276 Medium format with 50, 60 or 80mp. Body by Alpa, lenses from Rodenstock. Price TBC :)

Last edited:
You sure about that? Here's a new mirrorless that might just change your mind - Phase One Alpha https://fstoppers.com/gear/phase-one-announces-series-medium-format-mirrorless-camera-systems-45276 Medium format with 50, 60 or 80mp. Body by Alpa, lenses from Rodenstock. Price TBC :)

Alpa body and rodenstock lenses are absolutely nothing new; and there is no AF and many other goodies. And there is still the problem of very expensive P1 back required, which is where I'd simply spend the money on Audi Q5. Pentax is still the cheapest way in, but even there the lenses and body run well into 5 figures. Need vs want... 5D is really the most I can bite right now.

Technically, this was my first camera too if we go back when I was a kid.

I suppose there is some truth here. The lens line up was the longest (and still is) if you buy Canon or Nikon. Ebay was swamped with them. I got a good deal on 30D + 100mm macro kit from Canon (40D was just announced), but had I won an auction for 105mm VR micro first my kit bag would look very different today. So it was Canon mostly by chance. From that point switching becomes increasingly more painful and I'd rather not entertain that idea unless something extraordinary happens, e.g. I discover EF mount is discontinued.

Profits drive all companies. I'm a bit surprised that Canon and to some extent Nikon can't find any funds for similar marketing. They look like labour party if I shall say so here.

Moving to a new system indeed requires all new lenses. I am not sure how much I can trust E mount staying at its current spec. Alpha is apparently nearly obsolete after just a few years of sony ownership (so where is A900 / A99 mk2?!) and let's not forget that even m4/3 had undergone some changes from initial release. The initial m43 lenses are sort of not fully functional (or was it Fuji?). Same could happen with E when they decide to add more communication pins and what not. It needs some time to mature. Any reasonable person would wait until mk3 model of the system when lens and flash line-up is complete.

But classic film SLRs evolved into something bigger and everyone was happy about that. The remaining 'classic' models such as Zeiss SLRs gone extinct very rapidly. I'd argue 5D or 1D is the perfect size if you want grippless or gripped camera, respectively. I can operate them in the winter with gloves, where I'd struggle with A7. My hands are too big for 'classic' shape cameras. Unless cameras are all about fashion and 70's are trendy again.

m43 had a slr type style at first, then went short flange mirrorless, but there is a adapter, not shooting m43 so don't know much more.

e mount is feature complete mount wise I think, a mount is suffering with the fe market grab atm.

most makes seem to be making odd choices atm.. And in terms of glass slr types are more adapable, as you got slr and mirrrorless, but with mirrorless there's not as much room to adapt, there's m mount stuff I guess.

but pros are leaving for mirrorless as its there now performance wise for a lot of work. Or better than canon atleast. And a7s is badass for video, where the flappy mirror was a big hinderance.

It's all part of the game and they're all playing it.

I'm not sure you can single out Fuji or Sony when Nikon are flying Joe McNally and the rest of the "#NikonAmbassadors" around the world to promote their gear as well.

I think we should all be happy that manufacturers are giving us loads of new goodies. We have a good choice. And they are even listening to customers wishes.

Last edited:
I have B, C, E, H, I, K, L, M, N, O, P, R, S, V, Y and Z.

Now there's a challenge..

Bronica
Canon, Contax, Chinon
Ensign
Hanimex, Hasselblad, Holga
Ilford
Konica, Kodak
Leica
Minolta
Nikon
Olympus
Pracktica, Pentacon
Rollei
Sony
Voigtlaender
Yashica
Zeiss, Zenit

Is the full alphabet possible using just camera manufacturers? - I can't think of examples for Q or J for example..

Bronica
Canon
Edixa
Halina
Ihagee
Kodak
Lordomat
Minolta, Mamiya
Nikon
Olympus
Pentax
Rolleiflex
Steve Smith (home made)
Voigtlander
Yashica
Zenit

Steve.

I haven't moved from Fuji because I love Fuji! From the little P&S, my S3, S5 and now my X-T1 all have been great, though I still can't work out which is my favourite!

(a bit tongue in cheek because I have had a hell of a lot of different camera!)

Last edited by a moderator:
The new lightweight shenanigans, it's a complete hipster thing. For people with manicured beards that post memes about real men only having them, and they probably wear a shirt and tie with shorts and braces.

Well, I'm afraid I've been taken in by this latest switching / gear acquisition craze...

I can't wait until Christmas when my wife will be buying me a medium format film camera. Come Boxing Day, I'll just need to dig out that 20 year old Amateur Photographer back-issue so that they can tell me which lenses have the highest MTF and corner-to-corner sharpness that I simply HAVE to have...

The new lightweight shenanigans, it's a complete hipster thing. For people with manicured beards that post memes about real men only having them, and they probably wear a shirt and tie with shorts and braces.

The new lightweight cameras are for people who want to take a camera out with them more often. These cameras are really just the size that quality compacts and SLR's used to be before DSLR's and their lenses got free access to the fridge and became morbidly obese. I would never go back to a DSLR now, especially as few could compete with the image quality I get from my best CSC :D

I've noticed more and more people changing from X to Y to then sell Y to buy back X
The grass is always greener?

I've noticed more and more people changing from X to Y to then sell Y to buy back X
The grass is always greener?

I've noticed some switching in the for sale sections but I think it's pretty safe to say that most people who switch, like me, don't switch back.

What it does mean is that DSLR users should be able to pick up some bargains as so many people offload their unwanted Canon and Nikon gear.

Back