Why I HAVEN'T switched from X to Y

I've noticed more and more people changing from X to Y to then sell Y to buy back X
The grass is always greener?
That's always been happening. There are members of this forum that regularly change camera two or three times per year.

Don't understand it myself.. it takes me longer to get to grips with a new camera than these people spend owning one. I changed system last December/January and I think I've only recently reached the point where I really know what I'm doing with it and how to achieve the results I want.

Not always a case of switching more like combining in my case

Fuji is great for carrying about, only got two lenses for it (18-55 & 14) Defeats the object for me using bigger heavier lenses and kept my Canon gear for that.

Doesn't have to be one or other, but different tools for different jobs.

:agree: I have a Canon DSLR and a Pansonic GX7 for when my shoulder can't cope with the weight or I am on a trip where weight is key. I also have a couple of compacts which do something special, well special for me. Horses for courses. And of course, the people who sell the gear do try and convince us- it's their job - but we are only convinced if we want to be. Try a hypnotherapist if you cannot stop. (And no, I am not a hypnotherapist but I did feel cool enough about life to decide to retire because of one and I would have bet a lot against that a couple of years ago...:banana:)

That's always been happening. There are members of this forum that regularly change camera two or three times per year.

Don't understand it myself.. it takes me longer to get to grips with a new camera than these people spend owning one. I changed system last December/January and I think I've only recently reached the point where I really know what I'm doing with it and how to achieve the results I want.

Only got to look at the 7DMk2 thread to see this in action. Some had the last Canon model and now have the latest one. Oh to be rich (or something else) I suppose.

I've noticed more and more people changing from X to Y to then sell Y to buy back X
The grass is always greener?

Please do not mentioned the grass! The poor thing is now brown as turd everywhere around here.

Because I don't need to. My current gear serves me pretty well despite Petapixel, F-stoppers and their financial supporters trying to convince us that all the cool dudes are switching to Fuji or Sony. It is no secret companies pay bloggers and infest social media these days because the conventional TV or print ads just no longer work.

You could always just ignore it all and just use what you want. :)

I wonder when this all will die down. What do you guys think? Does your nikon or canon is no longer capable of producing worthy output since competitor Model XYZ came to market?

Aren't you just doing the same as the financial supporters mentioned above by inviting this subject for debate?

People take photographs.. not cameras. Your photography will not improve by upgrading your gear.

It's a good job some camera owners constantly upgrade, I couldn't afford what I have if I bought the latest new stuff, just look after you gear and sell it when you are fed up, and not when its worn out, keep me happy:):nikon:

70!! I take my hat off to you... You must have a room for them...post a pic..go on!

Here are some, but I will post them as links rather than litter up the thread with off topic images.

http://stevesmithphoto.webs.com/Picture 154.jpg
http://stevesmithphoto.webs.com/Picture 155.jpg
http://stevesmithphoto.webs.com/35mm-1.jpg
http://stevesmithphoto.webs.com/35mm-2.jpg

This is the wide angle 6x12 camera I built a while ago:
http://stevesmithphoto.webs.com/IMG_0691.jpg

This one is currently under construction:
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5442/9509530127_1c49765513_c.jpg

And an enlarger to print with:
http://stevesmithphoto.webs.com/devere4.jpg

Steve.

Hi Steve... So what do you shoot with!? Thanks for posting the photos... I must do better. Ha ha! :D

So what do you shoot with!?

For 35mm it's usually one of the Nikon Fs or a Lordomat rangefinder. Medium format would be a Rolleicord, a Bronica S2, a Mamiyaflex or the 6x12 camera. They are all usable.

To my shame, the 5x4 camera hasn't changed much since this time last year, but there's not much left to do so I intend to get it finished very soon.

Steve.

daugirdas, your views and expressed opinions often seem rather... entrenched? extreme? Not that there's anything wrong with having strong views and forums are a great place to read them.

Why not try and be happy with the kit you have until you see a need to change? If you're happy there'll be no need to vent or rant and you wont care a fig for what others are doing until you have to buy something new because your old kit has died and that's gong to be a long long time so it's not something to stress over :D

Relax :D Be happy :D

i will be joining the ranks i have to say,,, but not swapping entirely, as someone else said different kit for different jobs, i find my canon too blinking heavy for carrying about for the landscape photography i love, so i am selling some unused lenses and buying myself an xpro 1, but the canon stays for my dog action photos, 2 lenses for each sorted , no messing about

It seems everyone's only reason 99.99% of the time for changing is based on the fact that dslr are soooooo heavy.
I understand that for some people that a disability has forced them to change etc which is understandable .
I had never heard this complaint up until around 2-3 years ago . Have all these cameras been pigging out and putting on weight while sitting in the camera bag?? I carry 2 dslr's on 12 hr sessions at weddings a couple of times a week no problem at all and most 10
Year old kids look like tanks next to me :)

It's quite easy. A few years ago they didn't think much of the quality of the lightweight kit. In the last 2 years a lot has happened. And they have been watching.

Last edited:
probably the pro ones are pretty big... theres a difference between to carrying and using, im use the the dslr weight and size dont matter much, and could well be better, but to carry then you do want small and light

It seems everyone's only reason 99.99% of the time for changing is based on the fact that dslr are soooooo heavy.
I understand that for some people that a disability has forced them to change etc which is understandable .
I had never heard this complaint up until around 2-3 years ago . Have all these cameras been pigging out and putting on weight while sitting in the camera bag?? I carry 2 dslr's on 12 hr sessions at weddings a couple of times a week no problem at all and most 10

its a choice isn't it, when you can get decent kit that gives you the results you want at a weight which means that your're more likely to use it, why not?

On the grand scheme of things is there really that much in it , I mean look at the size and weight of some of Fujis new lenses !! And then people are sticking a battery grip on their xt1 ?The only thing their catching up on is the size and weight . I had a fuji xpro 1 with 3 lenses , when I took it out I still needed a bag over my shoulder a tripod in one hand and if I was doing any off camera flash a multitude if flashes and stands , yes if your going for a walk to the local zoo it's a different kettle of fish but I'm on about the pros going on a commissioned job on location witha model etc

On m43 add up the weight of several lenses, and it's clear. The M43 ratio is different. The diagonal means the lens can be smaller for the similar sized sensor.
So if it's same quality, less weight, it's a no brainer.
Which means you can also reduce the size and weight of your tripod.

Last edited:
its a choice isn't it, when you can get decent kit that gives you the results you want at a weight which means that your're more likely to use it, why not?
Totally agree , but surely a camera can't be that heavy that it actually stops you using it? Unless we are talking large format or the likes .

On m43 add up the weight of several lenses, and it's clear. The M43 ratio is different. The diagonal means the lens can be smaller for the similar sized sensor.
So if it's same quality, less weight, it's a no brainer.

How big can you print and from what ISO? A3, A2, A1? I need to seriously put an effort to get a file that is not up to scratch for an A1 from 5D3. I never tried A0 but I think I should :)

If you have the same size and spec sensor the why shouldn't you be able to print the same size?

As you said you didn't understand, I explained that people, given the current choice, clearly prefer same quality, less weight.

Last edited:
If you have the same size and spec sensor the why shouldn't you be able to print the same size?

As you said you didn't understand, I explained that people like same quality, less weight.
Are you not referring to m43 ? As I'm referring to full frame .
But yes I agree the same size sensor regardless of body size should get similar or same results

I didn't see where you referred to full frame. But it applies to full frame too.

Last edited:
Your question seems odd. Same sensor size and similar quality applies to all sensor sizes. Including FF.

Your question seems odd. Same sensor size and similar quality applies to all sensor sizes. Including FF.
Not odd , just wires crossed never mind :) I was on about full frame sensor vs crop.

Last edited:
Who really cares, just use whatever makes you happy. Too much worrying about what everybody else has got or is doing these days.

Last edited:

Yes, I think gear has been pigging out.

DSLR's and their lenses do seem to be bigger and heavier than their 35mm equivalents from the film days. When MFT came out I bought into the system but if DSLR's were still the same size and weight as they used to be I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Another factor for me personally is that I find DSLR's to obtrusive. In these days when many people think every bloke with a camera is a paedophile anything which makes my harmless little hobby less noticeable to the pitch fork wielding crazies is very welcome.

5D, A7, G1.

How big can you print and from what ISO? A3, A2, A1? I need to seriously put an effort to get a file that is not up to scratch for an A1 from 5D3. I never tried A0 but I think I should :)

Some questions answered...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/cameras/the_mirrorless_revolution.shtml

I was being serious in my previous post.

I honestly don't think it matters what you use as long as you're happy. Some people chop and change like mad but personally I tend to hang on to gear. I had my 20D over 7 years and only ditched my 5D when I decided mirrorless was the way to go for me.

Totally agree , but surely a camera can't be that heavy that it actually stops you using it? Unless we are talking large format or the likes .
It stops me getting off the beaten track,,, the xpro1 is half the weight of my 7d before sticking a lens on the front, I've thought about this long and hard and really believe for that side of my photography it's the way to go I am keeping the 7d but it will be for action shots of the dogs, at the moment I'm not going out doing landscapes because the thought of lugging my kit around puts me off

My tripod and 410 head weigh around 4kg alone. I think by this time everything else is pretty immaterial unless we at talking 400mm f/2.8 heavy lens. Maybe you lot have the wrong sort of bags? Only backpacks can distribute weight properly. Slings, etc are a good way of wrecking your back.

Who really cares, just use whatever makes you happy. Too much worrying about what everybody else has got or is doing these days.

Yep agree with you there it doesn't really matter what you use its the end results that matter
for me I haven't seen anything that would replace my DSLR setup for wildlife

Back